Surah 40 The Believer - Al-Mu'min, 85 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- Ha Mim
- The revelation of this Book is from God, Exalted in
Power, Full of Knowledge,-
- Who forgiveth sin, accepteth repentance, is strict
in punishment, and hath a long reach (in all things).
there is no god but He: to Him is the final goal.
- None can dispute about the Signs of God but the
Unbelievers. Let not, then, their strutting about
through the land deceive thee!
- But (there were people) before them, who denied
(the Signs),- the People of Noah, and the Confederates
(of Evil) after them; and every People plotted against
their prophet, to seize him, and disputed by means of
vanities, therewith to condemn the Truth; but it was I
that seized them! and how (terrible) was My Requital!
- Thus was the Decree of thy Lord proved true against
the Unbelievers; that truly they are Companions of the
- Those who sustain the Throne (of God) and those
around it Sing Glory and Praise to their Lord; believe
in Him; and implore Forgiveness for those who believe:
"Our Lord! Thy Reach is over all things, in Mercy and
Knowledge. Forgive, then, those who turn in Repentance,
and follow Thy Path; and preserve them from the Penalty
of the Blazing Fire!
- "And grant, our Lord! that they enter the Gardens
of Eternity, which Thou hast promised to them, and to
the righteous among their fathers, their wives, and
their posterity! For Thou art (He), the Exalted in
Might, Full of Wisdom.
- "And preserve them from (all) ills; and any whom
Thou dost preserve from ills that Day,- on them wilt
Thou have bestowed Mercy indeed: and that will be truly
(for them) the highest Achievement".
- The Unbelievers will be addressed: "Greater was the
aversion of God to you than (is) your aversion to
yourselves, seeing that ye were called to the Faith and
ye used to refuse."
- They will say: "Our Lord! twice hast Thou made us
without life, and twice hast Thou given us Life! Now
have we recognised our sins: Is there any way out (of
- (The answer will be:) "This is because, when God
was invoked as the Only (object of worship), ye did
reject Faith, but when partners were joined to Him, ye
believed! the Command is with God, Most High, Most
- He it is Who showeth you his Signs, and sendeth
down sustenance for you from the sky: but only those
receive admonition who turn (to God).
- Call ye, then, upon God with sincere devotion to
Him, even though the Unbelievers may detest it.
- Raised high above ranks (or degrees), (He is) the
Lord of the Throne (of Authority): by His Command doth
He send the Spirit (of inspiration) to any of His
servants he pleases, that it may warn (men) of the Day
of Mutual Meeting,-
- The Day whereon they will (all) come forth: not a
single thing concerning them is hidden from God. Whose
will be the dominion that Day?" That of God, the One
- That Day will every soul be requited for what it
earned; no injustice will there be that Day, for God is
Swift in taking account.
- Warn them of the Day that is (ever) drawing near,
when the hearts will (come) right up to the throats to
choke (them); No intimate friend nor intercessor will
the wrong-doers have, who could be listened to.
- (God) knows of (the tricks) that deceive with the
eyes, and all that the hearts (of men) conceal.
- And God will judge with (justice and) Truth: but
those whom (men) invoke besides Him, will not (be in a
position) to judge at all. Verily it is God (alone) Who
hears and sees (all things).
- Do they not travel through the earth and see what
was the End of those before them? They were even
superior to them in strength, and in the traces (they
have left) in the land: but God did call them to
account for their sins, and none had they to defend
them against God.
- That was because there came to them their apostles
with Clear (Signs), but they rejected them: So God
called them to account: for He is Full of Strength,
Strict in Punishment.
- Of old We sent Moses, with Our Signs and an
- To Pharaoh, Haman, and Qarun; but they called
(him)" a sorcerer telling lies!"...
- Now, when he came to them in Truth, from Us, they
said, "Slay the sons of those who believe with him, and
keep alive their females," but the plots of Unbelievers
(end) in nothing but errors (and delusions)!...
- Said Pharaoh: "Leave me to slay Moses; and let him
call on his Lord! What I fear is lest he should change
your religion, or lest he should cause mischief to
appear in the land!"
- Moses said: "I have indeed called upon my Lord and
your Lord (for protection) from every arrogant one who
believes not in the Day of Account!"
- A believer, a man from among the people of Pharaoh,
who had concealed his faith, said: "Will ye slay a man
because he says, 'My Lord is God'?- when he has indeed
come to you with Clear (Signs) from your Lord? and if
he be a liar, on him is (the sin of) his lie: but, if
he is telling the Truth, then will fall on you
something of the (calamity) of which he warns you:
Truly God guides not one who transgresses and lies!
- "O my People! Yours is the dominion this day: Ye
have the upper hand in the land: but who will help us
from the Punishment of God, should it befall us?"
Pharaoh said: "I but point out to you that which I see
(myself); Nor do I guide you but to the Path of Right!"
- Then said the man who believed: "O my people! Truly
I do fear for you something like the Day (of disaster)
of the Confederates (in sin)!-
- "Something like the fate of the People of Noah, the
'Ad, and the Thamud, and those who came after them: but
God never wishes injustice to his Servants.
- "And O my people! I fear for you a Day when there
will be Mutual calling (and wailing),-
- "A Day when ye shall turn your backs and flee: No
defender shall ye have from God: Any whom God leaves to
stray, there is none to guide...
- "And to you there came Joseph in times gone by,
with Clear Signs, but ye ceased not to doubt of the
(Mission) for which he had come: At length, when he
died, ye said: 'No apostle will God send after him.'
thus doth God leave to stray such as transgress and
live in doubt,-
- "(Such) as dispute about the Signs of God, without
any authority that hath reached them, grievous and
odious (is such conduct) in the sight of God and of the
Believers. Thus doth God, seal up every heart - of
arrogant and obstinate Transgressors."
- Pharaoh said: "O Haman! Build me a lofty palace,
that I may attain the ways and means-
- "The ways and means of (reaching) the heavens, and
that I may mount up to the God of Moses: But as far as
I am concerned, I think (Moses) is a liar!" Thus was
made alluring, in Pharaoh's eyes, the evil of his
deeds, and he was hindered from the Path; and the plot
of Pharaoh led to nothing but perdition (for him).
- The man who believed said further: "O my people!
Follow me: I will lead you to the Path of Right.
- "O my people! This life of the present is nothing
but (temporary) convenience: It is the Hereafter that
is the Home that will last.
- "He that works evil will not be requited but by the
like thereof: and he that works a righteous deed -
whether man or woman - and is a Believer- such will
enter the Garden (of Bliss): Therein will they have
abundance without measure.
- "And O my people! How (strange) it is for me to
call you to Salvation while ye call me to the Fire!
- "Ye do call upon me to blaspheme against God, and
to join with Him partners of whom I have no knowledge;
and I call you to the Exalted in Power, Who forgives
again and again!"
- "Without doubt ye do call me to one who is not fit
to be called to, whether in this world, or in the
Hereafter; our return will be to God; and the
Transgressors will be Companions of the Fire!
- "Soon will ye remember what I say to you (now), My
(own) affair I commit to God: for God (ever) watches
over His Servants."
- Then God saved him from (every) ill that they
plotted (against him), but the burnt of the Penalty
encompassed on all sides the People of Pharaoh.
- In front of the Fire will they be brought, morning
and evening: And (the sentence will be) on the Day that
Judgment will be established: "Cast ye the People of
Pharaoh into the severest Penalty!"
- Behold, they will dispute with each other in the
Fire! The weak ones (who followed) will say to those
who had been arrogant, "We but followed you: Can ye
then take (on yourselves) from us some share of the
- Those who had been arrogant will say: "We are all
in this (Fire)! Truly, God has judged between (his)
- Those in the Fire will say to the Keepers of Hell:
"Pray to your Lord to lighten us the Penalty for a day
- They will say: "Did there not come to you your
apostles with Clear Signs?" They will say, "Yes". They
will reply, "Then pray (as ye like)! But the prayer of
those without Faith is nothing but (futile wandering)
in (mazes of) error!"
- We will, without doubt, help our apostles and those
who believe, (both) in this world's life and on the Day
when the Witnesses will stand forth,-
- The Day when no profit will it be to Wrong-doers to
present their excuses, but they will (only) have the
Curse and the Home of Misery.
- We did aforetime give Moses the (Book of) Guidance,
and We gave the book in inheritance to the Children of
- A Guide and a Message to men of Understanding.
- Patiently, then, persevere: for the Promise of God
is true: and ask forgiveness for thy fault, and
celebrate the Praises of thy Lord in the evening and in
- Those who dispute about the signs of God without
any authority bestowed on them,- there is nothing in
their breasts but (the quest of) greatness, which they
shall never attain to: seek refuge, then, in God: It is
He Who hears and sees (all things).
- Assuredly the creation of the heavens and the earth
is a greater (matter) than the creation of men: Yet
most men understand not.
- Not equal are the blind and those who (clearly)
see: Nor are (equal) those who believe and work deeds
of righteousness, and those who do evil. Little do ye
learn by admonition!
- The Hour will certainly come: Therein is no doubt:
Yet most men believe not.
- And your Lord says: "Call on Me; I will answer your
(Prayer): but those who are too arrogant to serve Me
will surely find themselves in Hell - in humiliation!"
- It is God Who has made the Night for you, that ye
may rest therein, and the days as that which helps
(you) to see. Verily God is full of Grace and Bounty to
men: yet most men give no thanks.
- Such is God, your Lord, the Creator of all things,
there is no god but He: Then how ye are deluded away
from the Truth!
- Thus are deluded those who are wont to reject the
Signs of God.
- It is God Who has made for you the earth as a
resting place, and the sky as a canopy, and has given
you shape- and made your shapes beautiful,- and has
provided for you Sustenance, of things pure and good;-
such is God your Lord. So Glory to God, the Lord of the
- He is the Living (One): There is no god but He:
Call upon Him, giving Him sincere devotion. Praise be
to God, Lord of the Worlds!
- Say: "I have been forbidden to invoke those whom ye
invoke besides God,- seeing that the Clear Sings have
come to me from my Lord; and I have been commanded to
bow (in Islam) to the Lord of the Worlds."
- It is He Who has created you from dust then from a
sperm-drop, then from a leech-like clot; then does he
get you out (into the light) as a child: then lets you
(grow and) reach your age of full strength; then lets
you become old,- though of you there are some who die
before;- and lets you reach a Term appointed; in order
that ye may learn wisdom.
- It is He Who gives Life and Death; and when He
decides upon an affair, He says to it, "Be", and it is.
- Seest thou not those that dispute concerning the
Sings of God? How are they turned away (from Reality)?-
- Those who reject the Book and the (revelations)
with which We sent our apostles: but soon shall they
- When the yokes (shall be) round their necks, and
the chains; they shall be dragged along-
- In the boiling fetid fluid: then in the Fire shall
they be burned;
- Then shall it be said to them: "Where are the
(deities) to which ye gave part-worship-
- "In derogation of God?" They will reply: "They have
left us in the lurch: Nay, we invoked not, of old,
anything (that had real existence)." Thus does God
leave the Unbelievers to stray.
- "That was because ye were wont to rejoice on the
earth in things other than the Truth, and that ye were
wont to be insolent.
- "Enter ye the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and
evil is (this) abode of the arrogant!"
- So persevere in patience; for the Promise of God is
true: and whether We show thee (in this life) some part
of what We promise them,- or We take thy soul (to Our
Mercy) (before that),-(in any case) it is to Us that
they shall (all) return.
- We did aforetime send apostles before thee: of them
there are some whose story We have related to thee, and
some whose story We have not related to thee. It was
not (possible) for any apostle to bring a sign except
by the leave of God: but when the Command of God
issued, the matter was decided in truth and justice,
and there perished, there and then those who stood on
- It is God Who made cattle for you, that ye may use
some for riding and some for food;
- And there are (other) advantages in them for you
(besides); that ye may through them attain to any need
(there may be) in your hearts; and on them and on ships
ye are carried.
- And He shows you (always) His Signs: then which of
the Signs of God will ye deny?
- Do they not travel through the earth and see what
was the End of those before them? They were more
numerous than these and superior in strength and in the
traces (they have left) in the land: Yet all that they
accomplished was of no profit to them.
- For when their apostles came to them with Clear
Signs, they exulted in such knowledge (and skill) as
they had; but that very (Wrath) at which they were wont
to scoff hemmed them in.
- But when they saw Our Punishment, they said: "We
believe in God,- the one God - and we reject the
partners we used to join with Him."
- But their professing the Faith when they (actually)
saw Our Punishment was not going to profit them. (Such
has been) God's Way of dealing with His Servants (from
the most ancient times). And even thus did the
Rejecters of God perish (utterly)!
Surah 39 The Troops
Surah 40 The Believer
Surah 41 (Signs) Spelled Out