Surah 39 The Troops - Az-Zumar, 75 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- The revelation of this Book is from God, the
Exalted in Power, full of Wisdom.
- Verily it is We Who have revealed the Book to thee
in Truth: so serve God, offering Him sincere devotion.
- Is it not to God that sincere devotion is due? But
those who take for protectors other than God (say): "We
only serve them in order that they may bring us nearer
to God." Truly God will judge between them in that
wherein they differ. But God guides not such as are
false and ungrateful.
- Had God wished to take to Himself a son, He could
have chosen whom He pleased out of those whom He doth
create: but Glory be to Him! (He is above such things.)
He is God, the One, the Irresistible.
- He created the heavens and the earth in true
(proportions): He makes the Night overlap the Day, and
the Day overlap the Night: He has subjected the sun and
the moon (to His law): Each one follows a course for a
time appointed. Is not He the Exalted in Power - He Who
forgives again and again?
- He created you (all) from a single person: then
created, of like nature, his mate; and he sent down for
you eight head of cattle in pairs: He makes you, in the
wombs of your mothers, in stages, one after another, in
three veils of darkness. such is God, your Lord and
Cherisher: to Him belongs (all) dominion. There is no
god but He: then how are ye turned away (from your true
- If ye reject (God), Truly God hath no need of you;
but He liketh not ingratitude from His servants: if ye
are grateful, He is pleased with you. No bearer of
burdens can bear the burden of another. In the end, to
your Lord is your Return, when He will tell you the
truth of all that ye did (in this life). for He knoweth
well all that is in (men's) hearts.
- When some trouble toucheth man, he crieth unto his
Lord, turning to Him in repentance: but when He
bestoweth a favour upon him as from Himself, (man) doth
forget what he cried and prayed for before, and he doth
set up rivals unto God, thus misleading others from
God's Path. Say, "Enjoy thy blasphemy for a little
while: verily thou art (one) of the Companions of the
- Is one who worships devoutly during the hour of the
night prostrating himself or standing (in adoration),
who takes heed of the Hereafter, and who places his
hope in the Mercy of his Lord - (like one who does
not)? Say: "Are those equal, those who know and those
who do not know? It is those who are endued with
understanding that receive admonition.
- Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord,
good is (the reward) for those who do good in this
world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently
persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!"
- Say: "Verily, I am commanded to serve God with
- "And I am commanded to be the first of those who
bow to God in Islam."
- Say: "I would, if I disobeyed my Lord, indeed have
fear of the Penalty of a Mighty Day."
- Say: "It is God I serve, with my sincere (and
- "Serve ye what ye will besides him." Say: "Truly,
those in loss are those who lose their own souls and
their People on the Day of Judgment: Ah! that is indeed
the (real and) evident Loss!
- They shall have Layers of Fire above them, and
Layers (of Fire) below them: with this doth God warn
off his servants: "O My Servants! then fear ye Me!"
- Those who eschew Evil,- and fall not into its
worship,- and turn to God (in repentance),- for them is
Good News: so announce the Good News to My Servants,-
- Those who listen to the Word, and follow the best
(meaning) in it: those are the ones whom God has
guided, and those are the ones endued with
- Is, then, one against whom the decree of Punishment
is justly due (equal to one who eschews Evil)? Wouldst
thou, then, deliver one (who is) in the Fire?
- But it is for those who fear their Lord. That lofty
mansions, one above another, have been built: beneath
them flow rivers (of delight): (such is) the Promise of
God: never doth God fail in (His) promise.
- Seest thou not that God sends down rain from the
sky, and leads it through springs in the earth? Then He
causes to grow, therewith, produce of various colours:
then it withers; thou wilt see it grow yellow; then He
makes it dry up and crumble away. Truly, in this, is a
Message of remembrance to men of understanding.
- Is one whose heart God has opened to Islam, so that
he has received Enlightenment from God, (no better than
one hard-hearted)? Woe to those whose hearts are
hardened against celebrating the praises of God! they
are manifestly wandering (in error)!
- God has revealed (from time to time) the most
beautiful Message in the form of a Book, consistent
with itself, (yet) repeating (its teaching in various
aspects): the skins of those who fear their Lord
tremble thereat; then their skins and their hearts do
soften to the celebration of God's praises. Such is the
guidance of God: He guides therewith whom He pleases,
but such as God leaves to stray, can have none to
- Is, then, one who has to fear the brunt of the
Penalty on the Day of Judgment (and receive it) on his
face, (like one guarded therefrom)? It will be said to
the wrong-doers: "Taste ye (the fruits of) what ye
- Those before them (also) rejected (revelation), and
so the Punishment came to them from directions they did
- So God gave them a taste of humiliation in the
present life, but greater is the punishment of the
Hereafter, if they only knew!
- We have put forth for men, in this Qur'an every
kind of Parable, in order that they may receive
- (It is) a Qur'an in Arabic, without any crookedness
(therein): in order that they may guard against Evil.
- God puts forth a Parable a man belonging to many
partners at variance with each other, and a man
belonging entirely to one master: are those two equal
in comparison? Praise be to God! but most of them have
- Truly thou wilt die (one day), and truly they (too)
will die (one day).
- In the end will ye (all), on the Day of Judgment,
settle your disputes in the presence of your Lord.
- Who, then, doth more wrong than one who utters a
lie concerning God, and rejects the Truth when it comes
to him; is there not in Hell an abode for blasphemers?
- And he who brings the Truth and he who confirms
(and supports) it - such are the men who do right.
- They shall have all that they wish for, in the
presence of their Lord: such is the reward of those who
- So that God will turn off from them (even) the
worst in their deeds and give them their reward
according to the best of what they have done.
- Is not God enough for his Servant? But they try to
frighten thee with other (gods) besides Him! for such
as God leaves to stray, there can be no guide.
- And such as God doth guide there can be none to
lead astray. Is not God Exalted in Power, (Able to
enforce His Will), Lord of Retribution?
- If indeed thou ask them who it is that created the
heavens and the earth, they would be sure to say,
"God". Say: "See ye then? the things that ye invoke
besides God,- can they, if God wills some Penalty for
me, remove His Penalty?- Or if He wills some Grace for
me, can they keep back his Grace?" Say: "Sufficient is
God for me! In Him trust those who put their trust."
- Say: "O my People! Do whatever ye can: I will do
(my part): but soon will ye know-
- "Who it is to whom comes a Penalty of ignominy, and
on whom descends a Penalty that abides."
- Verily We have revealed the Book to thee in Truth,
for (instructing) mankind. He, then, that receives
guidance benefits his own soul: but he that strays
injures his own soul. Nor art thou set over them to
dispose of their affairs.
- It is God that takes the souls (of men) at death;
and those that die not (He takes) during their sleep:
those on whom He has passed the decree of death, He
keeps back (from returning to life), but the rest He
sends (to their bodies) for a term appointed verily in
this are Signs for those who reflect.
- What! Do they take for intercessors others besides
God? Say: "Even if they have no power whatever and no
- Say: "To God belongs exclusively (the right to
grant) intercession: to Him belongs the dominion of the
heavens and the earth: In the End, it is to Him that ye
shall be brought back."
- When God, the One and Only, is mentioned, the
hearts of those who believe not in the Hereafter are
filled with disgust and horror; but when (gods) other
than He are mentioned, behold, they are filled with
- Say: "O God! Creator of the heavens and the earth!
Knower of all that is hidden and open! it is Thou that
wilt judge between Thy Servants in those matters about
which they have differed."
- Even if the wrong-doers had all that there is on
earth, and as much more, (in vain) would they offer it
for ransom from the pain of the Penalty on the Day of
Judgment: but something will confront them from God,
which they could never have counted upon!
- For the evils of their Deeds will confront them,
and they will be (completely) encircled by that which
they used to mock at!
- Now, when trouble touches man, he cries to Us: But
when We bestow a favour upon him as from Ourselves, he
says, "This has been given to me because of a certain
knowledge (I have)!" Nay, but this is but a trial, but
most of them understand not!
- Thus did the (generations) before them say! But all
that they did was of no profit to them.
- Nay, the evil results of their Deeds overtook them.
And the wrong-doers of this (generation)- the evil
results of their Deeds will soon overtake them (too),
and they will never be able to frustrate (Our Plan)!
- Know they not that God enlarges the provision or
restricts it, for any He pleases? Verily, in this are
Signs for those who believe!
- Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against
their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of God: for God
forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most
- "Turn ye to our Lord (in repentance) and bow to His
(Will), before the Penalty comes on you: after that ye
shall not be helped.
- "And follow the best of (the courses) revealed to
you from your Lord, before the Penalty comes on you -
of a sudden while ye perceive not!-
- "Lest the soul should (then) say: 'Ah! Woe is me!-
In that I neglected (my duty) towards God, and was but
among those who mocked!'-
- "Or (lest) it should say: 'If only God had guided
me, I should certainly have been among the righteous!'-
- "Or (lest) it should say when it (actually) sees
the penalty: 'If only I had another chance, I should
certainly be among those who do good!'
- "(The reply will be:) 'Nay, but there came to thee
my Signs, and thou didst reject them: thou wast
Haughty, and became one of those who reject faith!'"
- On the Day of Judgment wilt thou see those who told
lies against God;- their faces will be turned black; Is
there not in Hell an abode for the Haughty?
- But God will deliver the righteous to their place
of salvation: no evil shall touch them, nor shall they
- God is the Creator of all things, and He is the
Guardian and Disposer of all affairs.
- To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the
earth: and those who reject the Signs of God,- it is
they who will be in loss.
- Say: "Is it some one other than God that ye order
me to worship, O ye ignorant ones?"
- But it has already been revealed to thee,- as it
was to those before thee,- "If thou wert to join (gods
with God), truly fruitless will be thy work (in life),
and thou wilt surely be in the ranks of those who lose
(all spiritual good)".
- Nay, but worship God, and be of those who give
- No just estimate have they made of God, such as is
due to Him: On the Day of Judgment the whole of the
earth will be but His handful, and the heavens will be
rolled up in His right hand: Glory to Him! High is He
above the Partners they attribute to Him!
- The Trumpet will (just) be sounded, when all that
are in the heavens and on earth will swoon, except such
as it will please God (to exempt). Then will a second
one be sounded, when, behold, they will be standing and
- And the Earth will shine with the Glory of its
Lord: the Record (of Deeds) will be placed (open); the
prophets and the witnesses will be brought forward and
a just decision pronounced between them; and they will
not be wronged (in the least).
- And to every soul will be paid in full (the fruit)
of its Deeds; and (God) knoweth best all that they do.
- The Unbelievers will be led to Hell in crowd:
until, when they arrive, there, its gates will be
opened. And its keepers will say, "Did not apostles
come to you from among yourselves, rehearsing to you
the Signs of your Lord, and warning you of the Meeting
of This Day of yours?" The answer will be: "True: but
the Decree of Punishment has been proved true against
- (To them) will be said: "Enter ye the gates of
Hell, to dwell therein: and evil is (this) Abode of the
- And those who feared their Lord will be led to the
Garden in crowds: until behold, they arrive there; its
gates will be opened; and its keepers will say: "Peace
be upon you! well have ye done! enter ye here, to dwell
- They will say: "Praise be to God, Who has truly
fulfilled His Promise to us, and has given us (this)
land in heritage: We can dwell in the Garden as we
will: how excellent a reward for those who work
- And thou wilt see the angels surrounding the Throne
(Divine) on all sides, singing Glory and Praise to
their Lord. The Decision between them (at Judgment)
will be in (perfect) justice, and the cry (on all
sides) will be, "Praise be to God, the Lord of the
Surah 38 Sad
Surah 39 The Troops
Surah 40 The Believer