Surah 36 Ya-Sin - Ya-Sin, 83 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- Ya Sin.
- By the Qur'an, full of Wisdom,-
- Thou art indeed one of the apostles,
- On a Straight Way.
- It is a Revelation sent down by (Him), the Exalted
in Might, Most Merciful.
- In order that thou mayest admonish a people, whose
fathers had received no admonition, and who therefore
remain heedless (of the Signs of God).
- The Word is proved true against the greater part of
them: for they do not believe.
- We have put yokes round their necks right up to
their chins, so that their heads are forced up (and
they cannot see).
- And We have put a bar in front of them and a bar
behind them, and further, We have covered them up; so
that they cannot see.
- The same is it to them whether thou admonish them
or thou do not admonish them: they will not believe.
- Thou canst but admonish such a one as follows the
Message and fears the (Lord) Most Gracious, unseen:
give such a one, therefore, good tidings, of
Forgiveness and a Reward most generous.
- Verily We shall give life to the dead, and We
record that which they send before and that which they
leave behind, and of all things have We taken account
in a clear Book (of evidence).
- Set forth to them, by way of a parable, the (story
of) the Companions of the City. Behold!, there came
apostles to it.
- When We (first) sent to them two apostles, they
rejected them: But We strengthened them with a third:
they said, "Truly, we have been sent on a mission to
- The (people) said: "Ye are only men like ourselves;
and (God) Most Gracious sends no sort of revelation: ye
do nothing but lie."
- They said: "Our Lord doth know that we have been
sent on a mission to you:
- "And our duty is only to proclaim the clear
- The (people) said: "for us, we augur an evil omen
from you: if ye desist not, we will certainly stone
you. And a grievous punishment indeed will be inflicted
on you by us."
- They said: "Your evil omens are with yourselves:
(deem ye this an evil omen). If ye are admonished? Nay,
but ye are a people transgressing all bounds!"
- Then there came running, from the farthest part of
the City, a man, saying, "O my people! Obey the
- "Obey those who ask no reward of you (for
themselves), and who have themselves received Guidance.
- "It would not be reasonable in me if I did not
serve Him Who created me, and to Whom ye shall (all) be
- "Shall I take (other) gods besides Him? If (God)
Most Gracious should intend some adversity for me, of
no use whatever will be their intercession for me, nor
can they deliver me.
- "I would indeed, if I were to do so, be in manifest
- "For me, I have faith in the Lord of you (all):
listen, then, to me!"
- It was said: "Enter thou the Garden." He said: "Ah
me! Would that my People knew (what I know)!-
- "For that my Lord has granted me Forgiveness and
has enrolled me among those held in honour!"
- And We sent not down against his People, after him,
any hosts from heaven, nor was it needful for Us so to
- It was no more than a single mighty Blast, and
behold! they were (like ashes) quenched and silent.
- Ah! Alas for (My) Servants! There comes not an
apostle to them but they mock him!
- See they not how many generations before them we
destroyed? Not to them will they return:
- But each one of them all - will be brought before
Us (for judgment).
- A Sign for them is the earth that is dead: We do
give it life, and produce grain therefrom, of which ye
- And We produce therein orchard with date-palms and
vines, and We cause springs to gush forth therein:
- That they may enjoy the fruits of this (artistry):
It was not their hands that made this: will they not
then give thanks?
- Glory to God, Who created in pairs all things that
the earth produces, as well as their own (human) kind
and (other) things of which they have no knowledge.
- And a Sign for them is the Night: We withdraw
therefrom the Day, and behold they are plunged in
- And the sun runs his course for a period determined
for him: that is the decree of (Him), the Exalted in
Might, the All-Knowing.
- And the Moon,- We have measured for her mansions
(to traverse) till she returns like the old (and
withered) lower part of a date-stalk.
- It is not permitted to the Sun to catch up the
Moon, nor can the Night outstrip the Day: Each (just)
swims along in (its own) orbit (according to Law).
- And a Sign for them is that We bore their race
(through the Flood) in the loaded Ark;
- And We have created for them similar (vessels) on
which they ride.
- If it were Our Will, We could drown them: then
would there be no helper (to hear their cry), nor could
they be delivered,
- Except by way of Mercy from Us, and by way of
(world) convenience (to serve them) for a time.
- When they are told, "Fear ye that which is before
you and that which will be after you, in order that ye
may receive Mercy," (they turn back).
- Not a Sign comes to them from among the Signs of
their Lord, but they turn away therefrom.
- And when they are told, "Spend ye of (the bounties)
with which God has provided you," the Unbelievers say
to those who believe: "Shall we then feed those whom,
if God had so willed, He would have fed, (Himself)?- Ye
are in nothing but manifest error."
- Further, they say, "When will this promise (come to
pass), if what ye say is true?"
- They will not (have to) wait for aught but a single
Blast: it will seize them while they are yet disputing
- No (chance) will they then have, by will, to
dispose (of their affairs), nor to return to their own
- The trumpet shall be sounded, when behold! from the
sepulchres (men) will rush forth to their Lord!
- They will say: "Ah! Woe unto us! Who hath raised us
up from our beds of repose?"... (A voice will say:)
"This is what (God) Most Gracious had promised. And
true was the word of the apostles!"
- It will be no more than a single Blast, when lo!
they will all be brought up before Us!
- Then, on that Day, not a soul will be wronged in
the least, and ye shall but be repaid the meeds of your
- Verily the Companions of the Garden shall that Day
have joy in all that they do;
- They and their associates will be in groves of
(cool) shade, reclining on Thrones (of dignity);
- (Every) fruit (enjoyment) will be there for them;
they shall have whatever they call for;
- "Peace!" - a word (of salutation) from a Lord Most
- "And O ye in sin! Get ye apart this Day!
- "Did I not enjoin on you, O ye Children of Adam,
that ye should not worship Satan; for that he was to
you an enemy avowed?-
- "And that ye should worship Me, (for that) this was
the Straight Way?
- "But he did lead astray a great multitude of you.
Did ye not, then, understand?
- "This is the Hell of which ye were (repeatedly)
- "Embrace ye the (fire) this Day, for that ye
(persistently) rejected (Truth)."
- That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But
their hands will speak to us, and their feet bear
witness, to all that they did.
- If it had been our Will, We could surely have
blotted out their eyes; then should they have run about
groping for the Path, but how could they have seen?
- And if it had been Our Will, We could have
transformed them (to remain) in their places; then
should they have been unable to move about, nor could
they have returned (after error).
- If We grant long life to any, We cause him to be
reversed in nature: Will they not then understand?
- We have not instructed the (Prophet) in Poetry, nor
is it meet for him: this is no less than a Message and
a Qur'an making things clear:
- That it may give admonition to any (who are) alive,
and that the charge may be proved against those who
- See they not that it is We Who have created for
them - among the things which Our hands have fashioned
- cattle, which are under their dominion?-
- And that We have subjected them to their (use)? of
them some do carry them and some they eat:
- And they have (other) profits from them (besides),
and they get (milk) to drink. Will they not then be
- Yet they take (for worship) gods other than God,
(hoping) that they might be helped!
- They have not the power to help them: but they will
be brought up (before Our Judgment-seat) as a troop (to
- Let not their speech, then, grieve thee. Verily We
know what they hide as well as what they disclose.
- Doth not man see that it is We Who created him from
sperm? yet behold! he (stands forth) as an open
- And he makes comparisons for Us, and forgets his
own (origin and) Creation: He says, "Who can give life
to (dry) bones and decomposed ones (at that)?"
- Say, "He will give them life Who created them for
the first time! for He is Well-versed in every kind of
- "The same Who produces for you fire out of the
green tree, when behold! ye kindle therewith (your own
- "Is not He Who created the heavens and the earth
able to create the like thereof?" - Yea, indeed! for He
is the Creator Supreme, of skill and knowledge
- Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is,
"be", and it is!
- So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of
all things: and to Him will ye be all brought back.
Surah 35 The Angels
Surah 36 Ya-Sin
Surah 37 Those Who Set the Ranks