Surah 30 The Romans - Al-Room, 60 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- A. L. M.
- The Roman Empire has been defeated-
- In a land close by; but they, (even) after (this)
defeat of theirs, will soon be victorious-
- Within a few years. With God is the Decision, in
the past and in the Future: on that Day shall the
- With the help of God. He helps whom He will, and He
is exalted in might, most merciful.
- (It is) the promise of God. Never does God depart
from His promise: but most men understand not.
- They know but the outer (things) in the life of
this world: but of the End of things they are heedless.
- Do they not reflect in their own minds? Not but for
just ends and for a term appointed, did God create the
heavens and the earth, and all between them: yet are
there truly many among men who deny the meeting with
their Lord (at the Resurrection)!
- Do they not travel through the earth, and see what
was the end of those before them? They were superior to
them in strength: they tilled the soil and populated it
in greater numbers than these have done: there came to
them their apostles with Clear (Signs). (Which they
rejected, to their own destruction): It was not God Who
wronged them, but they wronged their own souls.
- In the long run evil in the extreme will be the End
of those who do evil; for that they rejected the Signs
of God, and held them up to ridicule.
- It is God Who begins (the process of) creation;
then repeats it; then shall ye be brought back to Him.
- On the Day that the Hour will be established, the
guilty will be struck dumb with despair.
- No intercessor will they have among their
"Partners" and they will (themselves) reject their
- On the Day that the Hour will be established,- that
Day shall (all men) be sorted out.
- Then those who have believed and worked righteous
deeds, shall be made happy in a Mead of Delight.
- And those who have rejected Faith and falsely
denied our Signs and the meeting of the Hereafter,-
such shall be brought forth to Punishment.
- So (give) glory to God, when ye reach eventide and
when ye rise in the morning;
- Yea, to Him be praise, in the heavens and on earth;
and in the late afternoon and when the day begins to
- It is He Who brings out the living from the dead,
and brings out the dead from the living, and Who gives
life to the earth after it is dead: and thus shall ye
be brought out (from the dead).
- Among His Signs in this, that He created you from
dust; and then,- behold, ye are men scattered (far and
- And among His Signs is this, that He created for
you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in
tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy
between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for
those who reflect.
- And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens
and the earth, and the variations in your languages and
your colours: verily in that are Signs for those who
- And among His Signs is the sleep that ye take by
night and by day, and the quest that ye (make for
livelihood) out of His Bounty: verily in that are signs
for those who hearken.
- And among His Signs, He shows you the lightning, by
way both of fear and of hope, and He sends down rain
from the sky and with it gives life to the earth after
it is dead: verily in that are Signs for those who are
- And among His Signs is this, that heaven and earth
stand by His Command: then when He calls you, by a
single call, from the earth, behold, ye (straightway)
- To Him belongs every being that is in the heavens
and on earth: all are devoutly obedient to Him.
- It is He Who begins (the process of) creation; then
repeats it; and for Him it is most easy. To Him belongs
the loftiest similitude (we can think of) in the
heavens and the earth: for He is Exalted in Might, full
- He does propound to you a similitude from your own
(experience): do ye have partners among those whom your
right hands possess, to share as equals in the wealth
We have bestowed on you? Do ye fear them as ye fear
each other? Thus do we explain the Signs in detail to a
people that understand.
- Nay, the wrong-doers (merely) follow their own
lusts, being devoid of knowledge. But who will guide
those whom God leaves astray? To them there will be no
- So set thou thy face steadily and truly to the
Faith: (establish) God's handiwork according to the
pattern on which He has made mankind: no change (let
there be) in the work (wrought) by God: that is the
standard Religion: but most among mankind understand
- Turn ye back in repentance to Him, and fear Him:
establish regular prayers, and be not ye among those
who join gods with God,-
- Those who split up their Religion, and become
(mere) Sects,- each party rejoicing in that which is
- When trouble touches men, they cry to their Lord,
turning back to Him in repentance: but when He gives
them a taste of Mercy as from Himself, behold, some of
them pay part-worship to other god's besides their
- (As if) to show their ingratitude for the (favours)
We have bestowed on them! Then enjoy (your brief day);
but soon will ye know (your folly).
- Or have We sent down authority to them, which
points out to them the things to which they pay
- When We give men a taste of Mercy, they exult
thereat: and when some evil afflicts them because of
what their (own) hands have sent forth, behold, they
are in despair!
- See they not that God enlarges the provision and
restricts it, to whomsoever He pleases? Verily in that
are Signs for those who believe.
- So give what is due to kindred, the needy, and the
wayfarer. That is best for those who seek the
Countenance, of God, and it is they who will prosper.
- That which ye lay out for increase through the
property of (other) people, will have no increase with
God: but that which ye lay out for charity, seeking the
Countenance of God, (will increase): it is these who
will get a recompense multiplied.
- It is God Who has created you: further, He has
provided for your sustenance; then He will cause you to
die; and again He will give you life. Are there any of
your (false) "Partners" who can do any single one of
these things? Glory to Him! and high is He above the
partners they attribute (to him)!
- Mischief has appeared on land and sea because of
(the meed) that the hands of men have earned, that
(God) may give them a taste of some of their deeds: in
order that they may turn back (from Evil).
- Say: "Travel through the earth and see what was the
end of those before (you): Most of them worshipped
others besides God."
- But set thou thy face to the right Religion before
there come from God the Day which there is no chance of
averting: on that Day shall men be divided (in two).
- Those who reject Faith will suffer from that
rejection: and those who work righteousness will spread
their couch (of repose) for themselves (in heaven):
- That He may reward those who believe and work
righteous deeds, out of his Bounty. For He loves not
those who reject Faith.
- Among His Signs is this, that He sends the Winds,
as heralds of Glad Tidings, giving you a taste of His
(Grace and) Mercy,- that the ships may sail
(majestically) by His Command and that ye may seek of
His Bounty: in order that ye may be grateful.
- We did indeed send, before thee, apostles to their
(respective) peoples, and they came to them with Clear
Signs: then, to those who transgressed, We meted out
Retribution: and it was due from Us to aid those who
- It is God Who sends the Winds, and they raise the
Clouds: then does He spread them in the sky as He
wills, and break them into fragments, until thou seest
rain-drops issue from the midst thereof: then when He
has made them reach such of his servants as He wills
behold, they do rejoice!-
- Even though, before they received (the rain) - just
before this - they were dumb with despair!
- Then contemplate (O man!) the memorials of God's
Mercy!- how He gives life to the earth after its death:
verily the same will give life to the men who are dead:
for He has power over all things.
- And if We (but) send a Wind from which they see
(their tilth) turn yellow,- behold, they become,
thereafter, Ungrateful (Unbelievers)!
- So verily thou canst not make the dead to hear, nor
canst thou make the deaf to hear the call, when they
show their backs and turn away.
- Nor canst thou lead back the blind from their
straying: only those wilt thou make to hear, who
believe in Our signs and submit (their wills in Islam).
- It is God Who created you in a state of (helpless)
weakness, then gave (you) strength after weakness,
then, after strength, gave (you weakness and a hoary
head: He creates as He wills, and it is He Who has all
knowledge and power.
- On the Day that the Hour (of Reckoning) will be
established, the transgressors will swear that they
tarried not but an hour: thus were they used to being
- But those endued with knowledge and faith will say:
"Indeed ye did tarry, within God's Decree, to the Day
of Resurrection, and this is the Day of Resurrection:
but ye - ye were not aware!"
- So on that Day no excuse of theirs will avail the
transgressors, nor will they be invited (then) to seek
grace (by repentance).
- verily We have propounded for men, in this Qur'an
every kind of Parable: But if thou bring to them any
Sign, the Unbelievers are sure to say, "Ye do nothing
but talk vanities."
- Thus does God seal up the hearts of those who
- So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of
God is true: nor let those shake thy firmness, who have
(themselves) no certainty of faith.
Surah 29 The Spider
Surah 30 The Romans
Surah 31 Luqman