Surah 29 The Spider - Al-Ankaboot, 69 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- Do men think that they will be left alone on
saying, "We believe", and that they will not be tested?
- We did test those before them, and God will
certainly know those who are true from those who are
- Do those who practise evil think that they will get
the better of Us? Evil is their judgment!
- For those whose hopes are in the meeting with God
(in the Hereafter, let them strive); for the term
(appointed) by God is surely coming and He hears and
knows (all things).
- And if any strive (with might and main), they do so
for their own souls: for God is free of all needs from
- Those who believe and work righteous deeds,- from
them shall We blot out all evil (that may be) in them,
and We shall reward them according to the best of their
- We have enjoined on man kindness to parents: but if
they (either of them) strive (to force) thee to join
with Me (in worship) anything of which thou hast no
knowledge, obey them not. Ye have (all) to return to
me, and I will tell you (the truth) of all that ye did.
- And those who believe and work righteous deeds,-
them shall We admit to the company of the Righteous.
- Then there are among men such as say, "We believe
in God"; but when they suffer affliction in (the cause
of) God, they treat men's oppression as if it were the
Wrath of God! And if help comes (to thee) from thy
Lord, they are sure to say, "We have (always) been with
you!" Does not God know best all that is in the hearts
of all creation?
- And God most certainly knows those who believe, and
as certainly those who are Hypocrites.
- And the Unbelievers say to those who believe:
"Follow our path, and we will bear (the consequences)
of your faults." Never in the least will they bear
their faults: in fact they are liars!
- They will bear their own burdens, and (other)
burdens along with their own, and on the Day of
Judgments they will be called to account for their
- We (once) sent Noah to his people, and he tarried
among them a thousand years less fifty: but the Deluge
overwhelmed them while they (persisted in) sin.
- But We saved him and the companions of the Ark, and
We made the (Ark) a Sign for all peoples!
- And (We also saved) Abraham: behold, he said to his
people, "Serve God and fear Him: that will be best for
you- If ye understand!
- "For ye do worship idols besides God, and ye invent
falsehood. The things that ye worship besides God have
no power to give you sustenance: then seek ye
sustenance from God, serve Him, and be grateful to Him:
to Him will be your return.
- "And if ye reject (the Message), so did generations
before you: and the duty of the apostle is only to
preach publicly (and clearly)."
- See they not how God originates creation, then
repeats it: truly that is easy for God.
- Say: "Travel through the earth and see how God did
originate creation; so will God produce a later
creation: for God has power over all things.
- "He punishes whom He pleases, and He grants Mercy
to whom He pleases, and towards Him are ye turned.
- "Not on earth nor in heaven will ye be able
(fleeing) to frustrate (his Plan), nor have ye, besides
God, any protector or helper."
- Those who reject the Signs of God and the Meeting
with Him (in the Hereafter),- it is they who shall
despair of My Mercy: it is they who will (suffer) a
most grievous Penalty.
- So naught was the answer of (Abraham's) people
except that they said: "Slay him or burn him." But God
did save him from the Fire. Verily in this are Signs
for people who believe.
- And he said: "For you, ye have taken (for worship)
idols besides God, out of mutual love and regard
between yourselves in this life; but on the Day of
Judgment ye shall disown each other and curse each
other: and your abode will be the Fire, and ye shall
have none to help."
- But Lut had faith in Him: He said: "I will leave
home for the sake of my Lord: for He is Exalted in
Might, and Wise."
- And We gave (Abraham) Isaac and Jacob, and ordained
among his progeny Prophethood and Revelation, and We
granted him his reward in this life; and he was in the
Hereafter (of the company) of the Righteous.
- And (remember) Lut: behold, he said to his people:
"Ye do commit lewdness, such as no people in Creation
(ever) committed before you.
- "Do ye indeed approach men, and cut off the
highway?- and practise wickedness (even) in your
councils?" But his people gave no answer but this: they
said: "Bring us the Wrath of God if thou tellest the
- He said: "O my Lord! help Thou me against people
who do mischief!"
- When Our Messengers came to Abraham with the good
news, they said: "We are indeed going to destroy the
people of this township: for truly they are (addicted
- He said: "But there is Lut there." They said: "Well
do we know who is there : we will certainly save him
and his following,- except his wife: she is of those
who lag behind!"
- And when Our Messengers came to Lut, he was grieved
on their account, and felt himself powerless (to
protect) them: but they said: "Fear thou not, nor
grieve: we are (here) to save thee and thy following,
except thy wife: she is of those who lag behind.
- "For we are going to bring down on the people of
this township a Punishment from heaven, because they
have been wickedly rebellious."
- And We have left thereof an evident Sign, for any
people who (care to) understand.
- To the Madyan (people) (We sent) their brother
Shu'aib. Then he said: "O my people! serve God, and
fear the Last Day: nor commit evil on the earth, with
intent to do mischief."
- But they rejected him: Then the mighty Blast seized
them, and they lay prostrate in their homes by the
- (Remember also) the 'Ad and the Thamud (people):
clearly will appear to you from (the traces) of their
buildings (their fate): the Evil One made their deeds
alluring to them, and kept them back from the Path,
though they were gifted with intelligence and skill.
- (Remember also) Qarun, Pharaoh, and Haman: there
came to them Moses with Clear Signs, but they behaved
with insolence on the earth; yet they could not
- Each one of them We seized for his crime: of them,
against some We sent a violent tornado (with showers of
stones); some were caught by a (mighty) Blast; some We
caused the earth to swallow up; and some We drowned (in
the waters): It was not God Who injured (or oppressed)
them:" They injured (and oppressed) their own souls.
- The parable of those who take protectors other than
God is that of the spider, who builds (to itself) a
house; but truly the flimsiest of houses is the
spider's house;- if they but knew.
- Verily God doth know of (every thing) whatever that
they call upon besides Him: and He is Exalted (in
- And such are the Parables We set forth for mankind,
but only those understand them who have knowledge.
- God created the heavens and the earth in true
(proportions): verily in that is a Sign for those who
- Recite what is sent of the Book by inspiration to
thee, and establish regular Prayer: for Prayer
restrains from shameful and unjust deeds; and
remembrance of God is the greatest (thing in life)
without doubt. And God knows the (deeds) that ye do.
- And dispute ye not with the People of the Book,
except with means better (than mere disputation),
unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong (and
injury): but say, "We believe in the revelation which
has come down to us and in that which came down to you;
Our God and your God is one; and it is to Him we bow
- And thus (it is) that We have sent down the Book to
thee. So the People of the Book believe therein, as
also do some of these (pagan Arabs): and none but
Unbelievers reject our signs.
- And thou wast not (able) to recite a Book before
this (Book came), nor art thou (able) to transcribe it
with thy right hand: In that case, indeed, would the
talkers of vanities have doubted.
- Nay, here are Signs self-evident in the hearts of
those endowed with knowledge: and none but the unjust
reject Our Signs.
- Ye they say: "Why are not Signs sent down to him
from his Lord?" Say: "The signs are indeed with God:
and I am indeed a clear Warner."
- And is it not enough for them that we have sent
down to thee the Book which is rehearsed to them?
Verily, in it is Mercy and a Reminder to those who
- Say: "Enough is God for a witness between me and
you: He knows what is in the heavens and on earth. And
it is those who believe in vanities and reject God,
that will perish (in the end).
- They ask thee to hasten on the Punishment (for
them): had it not been for a term (of respite)
appointed, the Punishment would certainly have come to
them: and it will certainly reach them,- of a sudden,
while they perceive not!
- They ask thee to hasten on the Punishment: but, of
a surety, Hell will encompass the Rejecters of Faith!-
- On the Day that the Punishment shall cover them
from above them and from below them, and (a Voice)
shall say: "Taste ye (the fruits) of your deeds!"
- O My servants who believe! truly, spacious is My
Earth: therefore serve ye Me - (and Me alone)!
- Every soul shall have a taste of death in the end
to Us shall ye be brought back.
- But those who believe and work deeds of
righteousness - to them shall We give a Home in
Heaven,- lofty mansions beneath which flow rivers,- to
dwell therein for aye;- an excellent reward for those
who do (good)!-
- Those who persevere in patience, and put their
trust, in their Lord and Cherisher.
- How many are the creatures that carry not their own
sustenance? It is God who feeds (both) them and you:
for He hears and knows (all things).
- If indeed thou ask them who has created the heavens
and the earth and subjected the sun and the moon (to
his Law), they will certainly reply, "God". How are
they then deluded away (from the truth)?
- God enlarges the sustenance (which He gives) to
whichever of His servants He pleases; and He
(similarly) grants by (strict) measure, (as He
pleases): for God has full knowledge of all things.
- And if indeed thou ask them who it is that sends
down rain from the sky, and gives life therewith to the
earth after its death, they will certainly reply,
"God!" Say, "Praise be to God!" But most of them
- What is the life of this world but amusement and
play? but verily the Home in the Hereafter,- that is
life indeed, if they but knew.
- Now, if they embark on a boat, they call on God,
making their devotion sincerely (and exclusively) to
Him; but when He has delivered them safely to (dry)
land, behold, they give a share (of their worship to
- Disdaining ungratefully Our gifts, and giving
themselves up to (worldly) enjoyment! But soon will
- Do they not then see that We have made a sanctuary
secure, and that men are being snatched away from all
around them? Then, do they believe in that which is
vain, and reject the Grace of God?
- And who does more wrong than he who invents a lie
against God or rejects the Truth when it reaches him?
Is there not a home in Hell for those who reject Faith?
- And those who strive in Our (cause),- We will
certainly guide them to our Paths: For verily God is
with those who do right.
Surah 28 The Story
Surah 29 The Spider
Surah 30 The Romans