Surah 27 The Ant - Al-Naml, 93 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- These are verses of the Qur'an,-a book that makes
- A guide: and glad tidings for the believers,-
- Those who establish regular prayers and give in
regular charity, and also have (full) assurance of the
- As to those who believe not in the Hereafter, We
have made their deeds pleasing in their eyes; and so
they wander about in distraction.
- Such are they for whom a grievous Penalty is
(waiting); and in the Hereafter theirs will be the
- As to thee, the Qur'an is bestowed upon thee from
the presence of one who is wise and all-knowing.
- Behold! Moses said to his family: "I perceive a
fire; soon will I bring you from there some
information, or I will bring you a burning brand to
light our fuel, that ye may warn yourselves.
- But when he came to the (fire), a voice was heard:
"Blessed are those in the fire and those around: and
glory to God, the Lord of the worlds.
- "O Moses! verily, I am God, the exalted in might,
- "Now do thou throw thy rod!" But when he saw it
moving (of its own accord)as if it had been a snake, he
turned back in retreat, and retraced not his steps: "O
Moses!" (it was said), "Fear not: truly, in My
presence, those called as apostles have no fear,-
- "But if any have done wrong and have thereafter
substituted good to take the place of evil, truly, I am
Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
- "Now put thy hand into thy bosom, and it will come
forth white without stain (or harm): (these are) among
the nine Signs (thou wilt take) to Pharaoh and his
people: for they are a people rebellious in
- But when Our Signs came to them, that should have
opened their eyes, they said: "This is sorcery
- And they rejected those Signs in iniquity and
arrogance, though their souls were convinced thereof:
so see what was the end of those who acted corruptly!
- We gave (in the past) knowledge to David and
Solomon: And they both said: "Praise be to God, Who has
favoured us above many of his servants who believe!"
- And Solomon was David's heir. He said: "O ye
people! We have been taught the speech of birds, and on
us has been bestowed (a little) of all things: this is
indeed Grace manifest (from God.)"
- And before Solomon were marshalled his hosts,- of
Jinns and men and birds, and they were all kept in
order and ranks.
- At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of
ants, one of the ants said: "O ye ants, get into your
habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts crush you
(under foot) without knowing it."
- So he smiled, amused at her speech; and he said: "O
my Lord! so order me that I may be grateful for Thy
favours, which thou hast bestowed on me and on my
parents, and that I may work the righteousness that
will please Thee: And admit me, by Thy Grace, to the
ranks of Thy righteous Servants."
- And he took a muster of the Birds; and he said:
"Why is it I see not the Hoopoe? Or is he among the
- "I will certainly punish him with a severe penalty,
or execute him, unless he bring me a clear reason (for
- But the Hoopoe tarried not far: he (came up and)
said: "I have compassed (territory) which thou hast not
compassed, and I have come to thee from Saba with
- "I found (there) a woman ruling over them and
provided with every requisite; and she has a
- "I found her and her people worshipping the sun
besides God: Satan has made their deeds seem pleasing
in their eyes, and has kept them away from the Path,-
so they receive no guidance,-
- "(Kept them away from the Path), that they should
not worship God, Who brings to light what is hidden in
the heavens and the earth, and knows what ye hide and
what ye reveal.
- "God!- there is no god but He!- Lord of the Throne
- (Solomon) said: "Soon shall we see whether thou
hast told the truth or lied!
- "Go thou, with this letter of mine, and deliver it
to them: then draw back from them, and (wait to) see
what answer they return"...
- (The queen) said: "Ye chiefs! here is delivered to
me - a letter worthy of respect.
- "It is from Solomon, and is (as follows): 'In the
name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful:
- "'Be ye not arrogant against me, but come to me in
submission (to the true Religion).'"
- She said: "Ye chiefs! advise me in (this) my
affair: no affair have I decided except in your
- They said: "We are endued with strength, and given
to vehement war: but the command is with thee; so
consider what thou wilt command."
- She said: "Kings, when they enter a country,
despoil it, and make the noblest of its people its
meanest thus do they behave.
- "But I am going to send him a present, and (wait)
to see with what (answer) return (my) ambassadors."
- Now when (the embassy) came to Solomon, he said:
"Will ye give me abundance in wealth? But that which
God has given me is better than that which He has given
you! Nay it is ye who rejoice in your gift!
- "Go back to them, and be sure we shall come to them
with such hosts as they will never be able to meet: We
shall expel them from there in disgrace, and they will
feel humbled (indeed)."
- He said (to his own men): "Ye chiefs! which of you
can bring me her throne before they come to me in
- Said an 'Ifrit, of the Jinns: "I will bring it to
thee before thou rise from thy council: indeed I have
full strength for the purpose, and may be trusted."
- Said one who had knowledge of the Book: "I will
bring it to thee within the twinkling of an eye!" Then
when (Solomon) saw it placed firmly before him, he
said: "This is by the Grace of my Lord!- to test me
whether I am grateful or ungrateful! and if any is
grateful, truly his gratitude is (a gain) for his own
soul; but if any is ungrateful, truly my Lord is Free
of all Needs, Supreme in Honour !"
- He said: "Transform her throne out of all
recognition by her: let us see whether she is guided
(to the truth) or is one of those who receive no
- So when she arrived, she was asked, "Is this thy
throne?" She said, "It was just like this; and
knowledge was bestowed on us in advance of this, and we
have submitted to God (in Islam)."
- And he diverted her from the worship of others
besides God: for she was (sprung) of a people that had
- She was asked to enter the lofty Palace: but when
she saw it, she thought it was a lake of water, and she
(tucked up her skirts), uncovering her legs. He said:
"This is but a palace paved smooth with slabs of
glass." She said: "O my Lord! I have indeed wronged my
soul: I do (now) submit (in Islam), with Solomon, to
the Lord of the Worlds."
- We sent (aforetime), to the Thamud, their brother
Salih, saying, "Serve God": But behold, they became two
factions quarrelling with each other.
- He said: "O my people! why ask ye to hasten on the
evil in preference to the good? If only ye ask God for
forgiveness, ye may hope to receive mercy.
- They said: "Ill omen do we augur from thee and
those that are with thee". He said: "Your ill omen is
with God; yea, ye are a people under trial."
- There were in the city nine men of a family, who
made mischief in the land, and would not reform.
- They said: "Swear a mutual oath by God that we
shall make a secret night attack on him and his people,
and that we shall then say to his heir (when he seeks
vengeance): 'We were not present at the slaughter of
his people, and we are positively telling the truth.'"
- They plotted and planned, but We too planned, even
while they perceived it not.
- Then see what was the end of their plot!- this,
that We destroyed them and their people, all (of them).
- Now such were their houses, - in utter ruin, -
because they practised wrong-doing. Verily in this is a
Sign for people of knowledge.
- And We saved those who believed and practised
- (We also sent) Lut (as an apostle): behold, He said
to his people, "Do ye do what is shameful though ye see
- Would ye really approach men in your lusts rather
than women? Nay, ye are a people (grossly) ignorant!
- But his people gave no other answer but this: they
said, "Drive out the followers of Lut from your city:
these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!"
- But We saved him and his family, except his wife;
her We destined to be of those who lagged behind.
- And We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone):
and evil was the shower on those who were admonished
(but heeded not)!
- Say: Praise be to God, and Peace on his servants
whom He has chosen (for his Message). (Who) is better?-
God or the false gods they associate (with Him)?
- Or, Who has created the heavens and the earth, and
Who sends you down rain from the sky? Yea, with it We
cause to grow well-planted orchards full of beauty of
delight: it is not in your power to cause the growth of
the trees in them. (Can there be another) god besides
God? Nay, they are a people who swerve from justice.
- Or, Who has made the earth firm to live in; made
rivers in its midst; set thereon mountains immovable;
and made a separating bar between the two bodies of
flowing water? (can there be another) god besides God?
Nay, most of them know not.
- Or, Who listens to the (soul) distressed when it
calls on Him, and Who relieves its suffering, and makes
you (mankind) inheritors of the earth? (Can there be
another) god besides God? Little it is that ye heed!
- Or, Who guides you through the depths of darkness
on land and sea, and Who sends the winds as heralds of
glad tidings, going before His Mercy? (Can there be
another) god besides God?- High is God above what they
associate with Him!
- Or, Who originates creation, then repeats it, and
who gives you sustenance from heaven and earth? (Can
there be another) god besides God? Say, "Bring forth
your argument, if ye are telling the truth!"
- Say: None in the heavens or on earth, except God,
knows what is hidden: nor can they perceive when they
shall be raised up (for Judgment).
- Still less can their knowledge comprehend the
Hereafter: Nay, they are in doubt and uncertainty
thereanent; nay, they are blind thereunto!
- The Unbelievers say: "What! when we become dust,-
we and our fathers,- shall we really be raised (from
- "It is true we were promised this,- we and our
fathers before (us): these are nothing but tales of the
- Say: "Go ye through the earth and see what has been
the end of those guilty (of sin)."
- But grieve not over them, nor distress thyself
because of their plots.
- They also say: "When will this promise (come to
pass)? (Say) if ye are truthful."
- Say: "It may be that some of the events which ye
wish to hasten on may be (close) in your pursuit!"
- But verily thy Lord is full of grace to mankind:
Yet most of them are ungrateful.
- And verily thy Lord knoweth all that their hearts
do hide. As well as all that they reveal.
- Nor is there aught of the unseen, in heaven or
earth, but is (recorded) in a clear record.
- Verily this Qur'an doth explain to the Children of
Israel most of the matters in which they disagree.
- And it certainly is a Guide and a Mercy to those
- Verily thy Lord will decide between them by His
Decree: and He is Exalted in Might, All-Knowing.
- So put thy trust in God: for thou art on (the path
of) manifest Truth.
- Truly thou canst not cause the dead to listen, nor
canst thou cause the deaf to hear the call,
(especially) when they turn back in retreat.
- Nor canst thou be a guide to the blind, (to prevent
them) from straying: only those wilt thou get to listen
who believe in Our Signs, and they will bow in Islam.
- And when the Word is fulfilled against them (the
unjust), we shall produce from the earth a beast to
(face) them: He will speak to them, for that mankind
did not believe with assurance in Our Signs.
- One day We shall gather together from every people
a troop of those who reject our Signs, and they shall
be kept in ranks,-
- Until, when they come (before the Judgment-seat),
(God) will say: "Did ye reject My Signs, though ye
comprehended them not in knowledge, or what was it ye
- And the Word will be fulfilled against them,
because of their wrong-doing, and they will be unable
to speak (in plea).
- See they not that We have made the Night for them
to rest in and the Day to give them light? Verily in
this are Signs for any people that believe!
- And the Day that the Trumpet will be sounded - then
will be smitten with terror those who are in the
heavens, and those who are on earth, except such as God
will please (to exempt): and all shall come to His
(Presence) as beings conscious of their lowliness.
- Thou seest the mountains and thinkest them firmly
fixed: but they shall pass away as the clouds pass
away: (such is) the artistry of God, who disposes of
all things in perfect order: for he is well acquainted
with all that ye do.
- If any do good, good will (accrue) to them
therefrom; and they will be secure from terror that
- And if any do evil, their faces will be thrown
headlong into the Fire: "Do ye receive a reward other
than that which ye have earned by your deeds?"
- For me, I have been commanded to serve the Lord of
this city, Him Who has sanctified it and to Whom
(belong) all things: and I am commanded to be of those
who bow in Islam to God's Will,-
- And to rehearse the Qur'an: and if any accept
guidance, they do it for the good of their own souls,
and if any stray, say: "I am only a Warner".
- And say: "Praise be to God, Who will soon show you
His Signs, so that ye shall know them"; and thy Lord is
not unmindful of all that ye do.
Surah 26 The Poets
Surah 27 The Ant
Surah 28 The Story