Surah 15 Stone Land - Al-Hijr, 99 verses (Makka)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- A. L. R. These are the Ayats of Revelation,- of a
Qur'an that makes things clear.
- Again and again will those who disbelieve, wish
that they had bowed (to God's will) in Islam.
- Leave them alone, to enjoy (the good things of this
life) and to please themselves: let (false) hope amuse
them: soon will knowledge (undeceive them).
- Never did We destroy a population that had not a
term decreed and assigned beforehand.
- Neither can a people anticipate its term, nor delay
- They say: "O thou to whom the Message is being
revealed! truly thou art mad (or possessed)!
- "Why bringest thou not angels to us if it be that
thou hast the Truth?"
- We send not the angels down except for just cause:
if they came (to the ungodly), behold! no respite would
- We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and
We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).
- We did send apostles before thee amongst the
religious sects of old:
- But never came an apostle to them but they mocked
- Even so do we let it creep into the hearts of the
- That they should not believe in the (Message); but
the ways of the ancients have passed away.
- Even if We opened out to them a gate from heaven,
and they were to continue (all day) ascending therein,
- They would only say: "Our eyes have been
intoxicated: Nay, we have been bewitched by sorcery."
- It is We Who have set out the zodiacal signs in the
heavens, and made them fair-seeming to (all) beholders;
- And (moreover) We have guarded them from every evil
- But any that gains a hearing by stealth, is pursued
by a flaming fire, bright (to see).
- And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet);
set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced
therein all kinds of things in due balance.
- And We have provided therein means of subsistence,-
for you and for those for whose sustenance ye are not
- And there is not a thing but its (sources and)
treasures (inexhaustible) are with Us; but We only send
down thereof in due and ascertainable measures.
- And We send the fecundating winds, then cause the
rain to descend from the sky, therewith providing you
with water (in abundance), though ye are not the
guardians of its stores.
- And verily, it is We Who give life, and Who give
death: it is We Who remain inheritors (after all else
- To Us are known those of you who hasten forward,
and those who lag behind.
- Assuredly it is thy Lord Who will gather them
together: for He is perfect in Wisdom and Knowledge.
- We created man from sounding clay, from mud moulded
- And the Jinn race, We had created before, from the
fire of a scorching wind.
- Behold! thy Lord said to the angels: "I am about to
create man, from sounding clay from mud moulded into
- "When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and
breathed into him of My spirit, fall ye down in
obeisance unto him."
- So the angels prostrated themselves, all of them
- Not so Iblis: he refused to be among those who
- (God) said: "O Iblis! what is your reason for not
being among those who prostrated themselves?"
- (Iblis) said: "I am not one to prostrate myself to
man, whom Thou didst create from sounding clay, from
mud moulded into shape."
- (God) said: "Then get thee out from here; for thou
art rejected, accursed.
- "And the curse shall be on thee till the day of
- (Iblis) said: "O my Lord! give me then respite till
the Day the (dead) are raised."
- (God) said: "Respite is granted thee
- "Till the Day of the Time appointed."
- (Iblis) said: "O my Lord! because Thou hast put me
in the wrong, I will make (wrong) fair-seeming to them
on the earth, and I will put them all in the wrong,-
- "Except Thy servants among them, sincere and
purified (by Thy Grace)."
- (God) said: "This (way of My sincere servants) is
indeed a way that leads straight to Me.
- "For over My servants no authority shalt thou have,
except such as put themselves in the wrong and follow
- And verily, Hell is the promised abode for them
- To it are seven gates: for each of those gates is a
(special) class (of sinners) assigned.
- The righteous (will be) amid gardens and fountains
(of clear-flowing water).
- (Their greeting will be): "Enter ye here in peace
- And We shall remove from their hearts any lurking
sense of injury: (they will be) brothers (joyfully)
facing each other on thrones (of dignity).
- There no sense of fatigue shall touch them, nor
shall they (ever) be asked to leave.
- Tell My servants that I am indeed the
Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful;
- And that My Penalty will be indeed the most
- Tell them about the guests of Abraham.
- When they entered his presence and said, "Peace!"
He said, "We feel afraid of you!"
- They said: "Fear not! We give thee glad tidings of
a son endowed with wisdom."
- He said: "Do ye give me glad tidings that old age
has seized me? Of what, then, is your good news?"
- They said: "We give thee glad tidings in truth: be
not then in despair!"
- He said: "And who despairs of the mercy of his
Lord, but such as go astray?"
- Abraham said: "What then is the business on which
ye (have come), O ye messengers (of God)?"
- They said: "We have been sent to a people (deep) in
- "Excepting the adherents of Lut: them we are
certainly (charged) to save (from harm),- All -
- "Except his wife, who, We have ascertained, will be
among those who will lag behind."
- At length when the messengers arrived among the
adherents of Lut,
- He said: "Ye appear to be uncommon folk."
- They said: "Yea, we have come to thee to accomplish
that of which they doubt.
- "We have brought to thee that which is inevitably
due, and assuredly we tell the truth.
- "Then travel by night with thy household, when a
portion of the night (yet remains), and do thou bring
up the rear: let no one amongst you look back, but pass
on whither ye are ordered."
- And We made known this decree to him, that the last
remnants of those (sinners) should be cut off by the
- The inhabitants of the city came in (mad) joy (at
news of the young men).
- Lut said: "These are my guests: disgrace me not:
- "But fear God, and shame me not."
- They said: "Did we not forbid thee (to speak) for
all and sundry?"
- He said: "There are my daughters (to marry), if ye
must act (so)."
- Verily, by thy life (O Prophet), in their wild
intoxication, they wander in distraction, to and fro.
- But the (mighty) Blast overtook them before
- And We turned (the cities) upside down, and rained
down on them brimstones hard as baked clay.
- Behold! in this are Signs for those who by tokens
- And the (cities were) right on the high-road.
- Behold! in this is a sign for those who believed.
- And the Companions of the Wood were also
- So We exacted retribution from them. They were both
on an open highway, plain to see.
- The Companions of the Rocky Tract also rejected the
- We sent them Our Sings, but they persisted in
turning away from them.
- Out of the mountains did they hew (their) edifices,
(feeling themselves) secure.
- But the (mighty) Blast seized them of a morning,
- And of no avail to them was all that they did (with
such art and care)!
- We created not the heavens, the earth, and all
between them, but for just ends. And the Hour is surely
coming (when this will be manifest). So overlook (any
human faults) with gracious forgiveness.
- For verily it is thy Lord who is the
Master-Creator, knowing all things.
- And We have bestowed upon thee the Seven
Oft-repeated (verses) and the Grand Qur'an.
- Strain not thine eyes. (Wistfully) at what We have
bestowed on certain classes of them, nor grieve over
them: but lower thy wing (in gentleness) to the
- And say: "I am indeed he that warneth openly and
- (Of just such wrath) as We sent down on those who
divided (Scripture into arbitrary parts),-
- (So also on such) as have made Qur'an into shreds
(as they please).
- Therefore, by the Lord, We will, of a surety, call
them to account,
- For all their deeds.
- Therefore expound openly what thou art commanded,
and turn away from those who join false gods with God.
- For sufficient are We unto thee against those who
- Those who adopt, with God, another god: but soon
will they come to know.
- We do indeed know how thy heart is distressed at
what they say.
- But celebrate the praises of thy Lord, and be of
those who prostrate themselves in adoration.
- And serve thy Lord until there come unto thee the
Hour that is Certain.
Surah 14 Abraham
Surah 15 Stone Land
Surah 16 The Bee