Nintendo's classic game Super Mario Brothers made a big splash on the Game Boy Color in 1999's Super Mario Brothers Deluxe. At heart the game is a GBC near pixel-for-pixel port of the classic NES game, but it also sports some secrets, tweaks, and new objectives. The major portion of the game is indeed Super Mario Brothers and it's available for play right from the start. There are a few changes to the classic, however. Firstly, players can switch between Mario and Luigi between levels by pressing Select. Next, a new map screen tracks progress across the Mushroom Kingdom. Thirdly, because the Game Boy Color's screen is so small, only a portion of the game is displayed at a time. The screen now scrolls vertically in addition to horizontally. As levels of the game are completed the Challenge mode becomes available. The object in this mode is to pick a completed level, complete the objective, and beat the level without dying. The objectives are all the same: collect the five hidden red coins, find the hidden Yoshi egg, and earn the required number of points. After completing a Challenge round the score for the level is added to the grand score total. Meeting the grand score target results in something good happening.

After scoring 100,000 points in the main Super Mario Brothers game the "You vs. Boo" mode is unlocked. The objective in these six levels are to race the Boo Buddy across new terrain and get to the flagpole before the Boo does. After beating one Boo a faster one will challenge you. Once 300,000 points are scored in Super Mario Brothers then the Super Mario Brothers for Super Players mode will become available which is actually the original Japanese Super Mario Brothers 2 that was first released in the USA in 1993's Super Mario All-Stars as "The Lost Levels". This is the first time in America that this game has been available in its 8-bit glory, as the Super NES version had received a graphical and audio upgrade.

Nintendo has added some fun bonuses in addition to these classic games. There's a picture album that displays character artwork after certain in-game objectives have been completed plus there's a toy box that contains a few goodies: a calendar, a tarot card reading, some more artwork and lettering, and a "Where's Yoshi?" feature that will randomly reveal where the Yoshi egg from the Challenge mode is hiding in one level. Not all features of the toy box are available from the get-go; some must be earned.

While most Nintendo games are released in Japan first before coming to the rest of the world, Super Mario Brothers Deluxe was actually released in Japan after everywhere else. The Japanese version does feature a few changes: a flashing graphic reveals if a player has earned a high score and the grand total target score for Challenge mode is lower than its American counterpart, among smaller cosmetic changes to localize the game for the Japanese market. Super Mario Brothers Deluxe marks the first in a wave or portable ports of classic Mario games that would continue to the Game Boy Advance in Super Mario Advance, Super Mario Advance 2, Super Mario Advance 3, and Super Mario Advance 4. This game is still easily available at stores, as its a great rendition of a classic title that should be a part of everyone's game collection.


References:
http://www.GameFAQs.com
http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.