Sunrise Over Sea is the fourth album for The John Butler Trio and the fifth featuring John Butler released in March 2004.

Tracks:
1. "Treat Yo Mama" (4:47)
2. "Peaches and Cream" (6:47)
3. "Company and Sin" (4:39)
4. "What You Want" (5:21)
5. "Damned to Hell" (1:49)
6. "Hello" (4:26)
7. "Bound to Ramble" (6:08)
8. "Seeing Angels" (6:14)
9. "There'll Come a Time" (3:36)
10. "Zebra" (3:57)
11. "Mist" (2:25)
12. "Old Man" (5:10)
13. "Sometimes" (10:37)

In late 2003, John Butler entered Woodstock Studios in Melbourne owned by Jo Camilleri, the leader of Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons and the Black Sorrows. He had a new band consisting of percussionist Nicky Bomba and upright-bass player Shannon Birchall. While Birchall will probably be a permanent member of the Trio, Bomba will continue playing in his own reggae band.

John Butler told the Australian edition of Rolling Stone magazine released in April 2004 that he wanted greater freedom to pursue his vision. "Essentially what I learnt out of this process was, more so than ever, I'm the keeper of the music. I have the intuition and the foresight to pick the right players to my music. I've learned it's not always about having the same players for five, six or 10 years, it’s having the right chemistry for these songs at this time. Some of my favourite Jimi Hendrix music is off-the-cuff stuff with Band of Gypsies."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.