An ancient method of depillation.

It is less painful than waxing, and cleanup is far simpler (all you need is water).

The recipe:

2 cups of sugar
¼ cup of lemon juice
¼ cup of water

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and boil the mixture until it reaches 250°F. Use a candy thermometer to determine the temperature. As soon as the mixture reaches that heat, remove from flame immediately and pour it into a pyrex container. Let it cool.

Be very careful when it's cooling. Don't stick your finger in, because you can get a deep and nasty burn from this stuff.

You will need some baby powder and cloth strips.

Once the mixture is cool enough to use, sprinkle your legs with baby powder. Don't skip that step or you risk pulling away skin rather than hair.

Spread a thin coating of the sugar mixture in the direction of hair growth; press a cloth strip over it, and tear off against the direction of hair growth.

You will probably have to repeat the process in some areas where the hair grows in several directions at once.

While you're using the mixture, it should have the consistency of molasses. When it gets too cool, it gets thicker and is unusable. Put it in a microwave for about 30 seconds (again, be careful you don't burn yourself!) to get it back to the right temperature/consistency.

Sug"ar*ing, n.

1.

The act of covering or sweetening with sugar; also, the sugar thus used.

2.

The act or process of making sugar.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.