I recently had two 12" Subwoofers installed in my car. To power them, I got a 1000 watt amplifier. Needless to say that I could definitely shake the neighbors windows when I pull into my driveway. But having that kinda of power in the trunk of my car raises the question of subwoofer etiquette.

We have all been driving down the road and come to a stoplight only to have our eardrums rattled by the massive bass in the car next to us. So I ask, is this necessary?

The answer is no. There are a few things you can do to preserve the quality of your bass and still keep others from having to listen to it. A very simple way to do this is to get your trunk sealed. It is very inexpensive and no it does not mean that you can no longer open your trunk. It seals you trunk off so that the bass is confined in the trunk but it does not take away from the amount of bass you here inside the car.

I had my trunk sealed and I can now turn up my bass as loud as i want and none of the cars near me have hear my music. I felt that was the decent thing to do. If you feel the urge to let your friends know just how loud your car can get, roll all the windows down, or better yet, pop the trunk. Just be civil about it.

When it comes to Bass or Subwoofer Etiquette, I think it comes down to what I like to call street laws. I know you all know when your friend with 5 10" inch speakers pulls up, or that p.o.s. in your neighborhood that shakes so bad it hurts in your back.


  • "Bumping"
    Never drive up to someone's house with your subs way up, unless it's a). Your house, b). A party. c). Always bump into school with your windows down, unless you have tint.
  • "Riding Shotgun"
    Never touch anyone's; Amp. Equalizer. Box.
  • Problem Solving
    If your car rattles, don't bump. Or fix it... Do us all a favor.
  • Blah blah blah
    Show off your system, but don't brag. It's not that great. Noone is scared of your system, and it doesn't make you a tough person.

    Not to say that anyone here doesn't know about these unsaid rules. I'm sure all of the noders here, ridin' in their Benzes and Bentleys, flossin' their platinum grills and scrilla bills, know how it works, right?

  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.