The Subaru Brat was a car/truck hybrid produced during the 1970s and 1980s. The Brat is powered by a 1.8 liter horizontally opposed 4 cylinder engine. (Kind of like what old Porsches had). Brats also had 4WD and 4 speed manual transmissions. Other features included T-Tops and extra seats in the bed of the truck/car.

The Brat was based on Subaru's standard compact car of the time, with a truck bed replacing the area behind the front seats. There was one change in body style when Subaru switched from their rounder 1970s compact to their pointer 1980s compact.

The Brat is very silly looking by many people's standards, but it also just happens to be one of the most fun vehicles ever made. Some people loved them so much that they began a petition to get Subaru to produce them again. (Search on Google and you should find it), and eventually Subaru did start making a new model, although they did not give it the Brat name. Today the Brat is probably the single most collectible of the older Subaru models, and perhaps of low dollar Japanese compacts in general. It isn't all that unusual for a nice rust-free example to sell on eBay for prices close to what they cost brand new.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.