The piece of the front suspension of a vehicle which dampens the movement of the springs to smoothen the ride.

There is usually no maintainance for a strut, it is merely replaced.

In automotive terms, a Strut is a shock absorber (or damper) with a fixed mount at the non-shaft end rather than a pivoting link. In all other ways, it is identical to an ordinary shock absorber.

Struts are most commonly associated with the MacPherson strut suspension, a space, weight, and cost-saving suspension commonly found in the front of lightweight vehicles. It is typically used only for front suspension, but some cars have a MacPherson suspension, and thus struts, at all four corners.

Struts typically have two parts; The body, which is simply a cylinder with the lower strut mount attached to it; and the cartridge, a replaceable shock absorber. This minimizes the cost of replacement. Not all struts are designed in this fashion.

Strut (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Strutted (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Strutting.] [OE. struten, strouten, to swell; akin to G. strozen to be swelled, to be puffed up, to strut, Dan. strutte.]

1.

To swell; to bulge out.

[R.]

The bellying canvas strutted with the gale. Dryden.

2.

To walk with a lofty, proud gait, and erect head; to walk with affected dignity.

Does he not hold up his head, . . . and strut in his gait? Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Strut, n. [For senses 2 & 3 cf. LG. strutt rigid.]

1.

The act of strutting; a pompous step or walk.

2. Arch.

In general, any piece of a frame which resists thrust or pressure in the direction of its own length. See Brace, and Illust. of Frame, and Roof.

3. Engin.

Any part of a machine or structure, of which the principal function is to hold things apart; a brace subjected to compressive stress; -- the opposite of stay, and tie.

 

© Webster 1913.


Strut, v. t.

To hold apart. Cf. Strut, n., 3.

 

© Webster 1913.


Strut, a.

Protuberant.

[Obs.]

Holland.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.