"Stranger" is a general term used to instill a fear of unknown adults in small children. Techniques strangers employ to abduct children include offers of candy, requests for help in finding a lost pet, and claims of friendship with the child's parents.
Under the rules of Strangers, any adult that a child sees and doesn't immediately know is a drug addicted pedo-rapist murderer bent on world domination, and is probobly a Commuinst.
This may not be a bad policy in some areas.

His hair bronze in the early sunlight
and features distant through the cobwebs of my smoke.
I whisper his name in my mind
or perhaps what his name may be.
I could be callous
demanding he attend me.
I dare not taint what we do not share
with trivial things - desire.
I know him - the whole of him
the vastness that he occupies
neither the shape nor specifics concern me
there is freedom in my fantasy.

The sun continues rising
and he goes on, beyond me
and us
and everything that could have been.

Stran"ger (?), n. [OF. estrangier, F. 'etranger. See Strange.]

1.

One who is strange, foreign, or unknown.

Specifically: --

(a)

One who comes from a foreign land; a foreigner.

I am a most poor woman and a stranger, Born out of your dominions. Shak.

(b)

One whose home is at a distance from the place where he is, but in the same country.

(c)

One who is unknown or unacquainted; as, the gentleman is a stranger to me; hence, one not admitted to communication, fellowship, or acquaintance.

Melons on beds of ice are taught to bear, And strangers to the sun yet ripen here. Granville.

My child is yet a stranger in the world. Shak.

I was no stranger to the original. Dryden.

2.

One not belonging to the family or household; a guest; a visitor.

To honor and receive Our heavenly stranger. Milton.

3. Law

One not privy or party an act, contract, or title; a mere intruder or intermeddler; one who interferes without right; as, actual possession of land gives a good title against a stranger having no title; as to strangers, a mortgage is considered merely as a pledge; a mere stranger to the levy.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stran"ger, v. t.

To estrange; to alienate.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.