A stovepipe, or a stovepipe jam, is a failure to eject jam where the spent case gets lodged in the ejection port between the breech and the barrel.

It comes from the fact that the firearm that suffers a stovepipe jam very much resembles a stovepipe.

Picture a semiauto pistol with the slide halfway forward and where the spent brass should be ejecting there is one lodged with the open end outwards, probably smoking a bit too after just being fired, you get the picture.

To clear this kind of jam just perform a tap, rack, bang! and you are good to go!

Stovepiping is a sign that your recoil spring might be too heavy for the loads you are using or more likely that your loads are too light for the gun you are using. Adjust accordingly.

You can also install an extended ejector, if it is possible for the model of your firearm, to ensure positive ejection of spent brass.


karfung sneakily picks up your spent brass and runs away with them. heehee.

Stove"pipe` (?), n.

Pipe made of sheet iron in length and angular or curved pieces fitting together, -- used to connect a portable stove with a chimney flue.

Stovepipe hat, the common tall silk hat. [Slang, U.S.]<-- common in the late 1800's -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.