The main assault rifle used by the counter terrorists in Counter-Strike. IRL, it is used by the Austrian army, and seems to be made mostly of high impact plastic, and enamelled aluminium. A bullpup configuration rifle with integrated optical sights. An unloaded weight of just over 3 kg, and a length of 31 inches with the 20" barrel attached. There's no mode selector, just a dual purpose trigger. Squeeze to the first sear stop, and it fires in semi-auto. Squeeze a little farther, and you have full automatic. Guns aren't my field, so I'll leave it to someone who knows this stuff to go into detail.

In CS, I'd say that this is probably the best weapon in the game. Fearsomly effective at close range, yet retaining deadly accuracy at longer ranges. It gives a 1.5x zoom (I guessed 2x before, but tzun knows better, so I'll go with him), which while not exactly making it a sniper rifle, still allows you to pick off enemies at a fair range. The report this thing puts out will terrify anyone with a decent sound card. For full effect, unload a full clip into any terrorists you encounter, SAS style. The rifle still has a kick, though not as heavy as the Sig's, so short bursts are best when any distance is involved between you and the target.

In the Austrian army, the Steyr AUG assault rifle is called StG 77, which is short for Sturmgewehr 77 (This just means assault rifle. The 77 comes from the year the weapon was introduced in the Austrian Army, 1977).
Here are some exact stats (they are from the homepage of the Austrian army, but i've learnd them often enough by myself, since i had to serve military duty)

  • weight: 3.75 kg unloaded, 4.25 kg with a 30 round magazine
  • caliber: 5,56 mm (NATO)
  • length: 70 cm
  • maximum range: 2700 m
  • usual operation range: 300 m
  • theoretical firing speed: 700 min-1
  • practical firing speed: 60 min-1 (1 magazine change included)
  • ammunition supply: magazine for 30 rounds

Opposed to Leynos wu, it has an optical sight which magnifies by 1.5.
The only steel parts are the barrel, and a few small parts in the gas pressure device (directly translated from german), the part which enables the gun to auto-reload.
The rest of the gun is black colored (not sure, it doesn't chip like enamel though) aluminum for the barrel housing, and plastic for the butt.
The barrel is removable, and there's some cleaning equipment placed in the end of the butt.

The operation is simple, just as Leynos mentined, a gentle pull on the trigger for single shot, a little more firmly for autofire.
From my personal experience, the gun is amazingly accurate once tuned correctly for the individual shooter.
Even for an unexperienced shooter is far from impossible to hit an object of the size of an 17" monitor (or a human chest, whichever you prefer) at the distance of 300 m with the first shot, if he's lying flat.

Pretty mean eh?

This gun name in full is Steyr AUG A1. The gun has a weird shape, more of curves and splines opposed to the usual 7-shaped rigid guns. Here's some details I remember last time I used such a cool beast.


Manufacturer: Steyr
Cost: $3500
Ammo Per Clip/Ammo Held in Weapon: 30 rounds
Max Reserved Ammo: 90 Rounds
Special Weapon Function: 1.4x zoom
Power: High
Range: High
Accuracy: High-Medium (Bursts)/Low-Medium (Full Auto)
Ammo: 5.56mm slugs (30-round mags)
Reload speed: Medium
Cyclic rate: High

Overview: One of the most powerful counter-strike weapons, the AUG is accurate and very deadly, if you've got the money, you're a CT and don't feel like the M4A1, then choose this gun.. Perfect for long range combar, whereas the M4A1 is most Close Quarter Battle oriented. This kick ass weapon has a zoom, but don't try firing it at full auto!

But personally this is one of my favourate assault rifles. It is very accurate. When I first used this gun, it looked like some weird Star-Trek ship! - well, Leynos said that.

Nice gun with scope ;) There's nothing much else you can say about it, except that it's one nice piece of sharp-shooting gun.

Since the early 1990s, the Steyr is the primary infantry small arms of the Australian Army, replacing the 7.62mm SLR. They are also available to the counter-terrorist faction in Counterstrike.

The light weight makes it a favourite for your average grunt, who unlike the digitised Counterstrike soldiers can't prance around the battlefield in full-kit like Michelle Yeoh wearing nothing heavier than satin. And the ease of cleaning allows them to get a few more minutes kip each night (combat is considerably more tiring than an all-night LAN session).

Steyrs were used in active combat in East Timor, Afghanistan and Iraq, causing casualties to enemy combatants who possibly thought they were phasers set to stun.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.