A substance you can apply to wood to change its color, protect the wood, and give it a richer appearance. Stains come in oil-based and water-based varieties; the oil-based stains are reputed to have a richer color and perhaps offer more protection to the wood, but are less environmentally friendly. The water-based ones are easier to clean up and dispose of.

You can save a lot of money by buying unfinished furniture and staining it yourself, if you're willing to invest the sweat.

In reference to mat catastrophe's write-up:

Living Colour's album Stain marked the debut of Doug Wimbish with Living Colour, to clarify. He had had an extensive career before that point that should not be overlooked.

Also, there was a European version of this album which had two additional tracks after Wall. Several of the songs exhibit enough differences to suggest that they were different takes from those on the American version.

The track list of the European version is, then:

1. Go Away
2. Ignorance is Bliss
3. Leave it Alone
4. Bi
5. Mind Your Own Business
6. Auslander
7. Never Satisfied
8. Nothingness
9. Postman
10. WTFF
11. This Little Pig
12. Hemp
13. Wall
14. 17 Days - a Prince cover
15. Love Rears its Ugly Head (live)

Stain (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Stained (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Staining.] [Abbrev. fr. distain.]

1.

To discolor by the application of foreign matter; to make foul; to spot; as, to stain the hand with dye; armor stained with blood.

2.

To color, as wood, glass, paper, cloth, or the like, by processess affecting, chemically or otherwise, the material itself; to tinge with a color or colors combining with, or penetrating, the substance; to dye; as, to stain wood with acids, colored washes, paint rubbed in, etc.; to stain glass.

3.

To spot with guilt or infamy; to bring reproach on; to blot; to soil; to tarnish.

Of honor void, Of innocence, of faith, of purity, Our wonted ornaments now soiled and stained. Milton.

4.

To cause to seem inferior or soiled by comparison.

She stains the ripest virgins of her age. Beau. & Fl.

That did all other beasts in beauty stain. Spenser.

Stained glass, glass colored or stained by certain metallic pigments fused into its substance, -- often used for making ornament windows.

Syn. -- To paint; dye; blot; soil; sully; discolor; disgrace; taint. -- Paint, Stain, Dye. These denote three different processes; the first mechanical, the other two, chiefly chemical. To paint a thing is so spread a coat of coloring matter over it; to stain or dye a thing is to impart color to its substance. To stain is said chiefly of solids, as wood, glass, paper; to dye, of fibrous substances, textile fabrics, etc.; the one, commonly, a simple process, as applying a wash; the other more complex, as fixing colors by mordants.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stain, v. i.

To give or receive a stain; to grow dim.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stain, n.

1.

A discoloration by foreign matter; a spot; as, a stain on a garment or cloth.

Shak.

2.

A natural spot of a color different from the gound.

Swift trouts, diversified with crimson stains. Pope.

3.

Taint of guilt; tarnish; disgrace; reproach.

Nor death itself can wholly wash their stains. Dryden.

Our opinion . . . is, I trust, without any blemish or stain of heresy. Hooker.

4.

Cause of reproach; shame.

Sir P. Sidney.

5.

A tincture; a tinge.

[R.]

You have some stain of soldier in you. Shak.

Syn. -- Blot; spot; taint; pollution; blemish; tarnish; color; disgrace; infamy; shame.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.