These are ever popular party cupcakes – the citrus tang of the frosting goes down well with kids and adults. I’ve started to add an orange sherbert sprinkle on top of the frosting, which makes the cakes even more zingy, but it’s not necessary – just fun.
To make the frosting
- Pre-heat oven to 108 centigrade
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs
- Beat in flour
- Gradually add orange juice until a soft dropping consistency is achieved
- Spoon into paper cases (1 heaped teaspoon per case)
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden and springy
- Put butter, lemon juice and zest in a bowl
- Sift in icing sugar gradually, mixing until a fairly soft piping consistency is achieved.
- Pipe swirls onto cooled cakes and top with an orange or lemon jelly candy.