The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Squirrel Meets World
by Shannon Hale and Dean Hale
Marvel/Scholastic 2017

Squirrel Meets World is the first Squirrel Girl novelization (I think), a superhero science fiction novel aimed at middle-schoolers and young adults. It deals with Squirrel Girl as a teenager, but is still very much apiece with the pre-existing Squirrel Girl franchise.

Doreen Green has had superpowers for as long as she can remember. She's not a superhero -- she's just a kid -- but she can grow claws, jump super high, climb like a squirrel, and talk to squirrels. She also has a tail like a squirrel, although proportionate in size and fluffiness, so a really big tail. Her parents have always told her that, although she is clearly quite special and lucky and wonderful, she should hide her more squirrel-like qualities from her friends and also from everybody else because they'd feel bad that they, too, did not have the powers and tail of a squirrel.

Doreen's family has just moved across country to a odd and somewhat creepy place known as New Jersey, and she is rather uncertain that this was a good move. Crime rates are high, there are weird LARPers in the park, and someone has put traps out for the local squirrels. She quickly makes some friends -- Tippy-Toe, a local squirrel, and Ana Sophia, a local introvert -- and starts to accidently incidentally sometimes fighting a tiny bit of crime, against her parents' wishes. As the plot thickens, it becomes apparent that there is an evil mastermind in the background that really wants to fight a superhero, and has decided that Squirrel Girl is that hero(ine), whether she wants to be or not.

This is a fun, light, and slightly silly superhero novel, aimed at kids but a good read for any adult who is willing to brave a return to middle school. Just a heads-up, this novel makes no attempt to mesh with the "canonical" Squirrel Girl comics, but that's par for the Squirrel Girl course. It does a good job of maintaining the modern Squirrel Girl tone, although the authors are no Ryan North, they make it work.

The next book in the series, and currently the only other book in the series, is The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: 2 Fuzzy, 2 Furious.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.