Splish Splash, voted the 5th best waterpark in America by the Travel Channel in 2001, is, at 40 acres, the largest waterpark in New York state.

Splish Splash, with its more than 20 water rides, is well known on Long Island and throughout New York as the best waterpark for day trips. It's open for business May through the end of September. It features such rides as the Cliff Diver, an 80 foot "speed slide" that's even visible from the parkway, and the Surf City Wave Pool. While most rides have a height restriction, there are also four "kiddie rides", including the 3 Little Body Flumes, a scaled down version of the body flume ride for adults.

General admission is $26.99 for adults. Children under 48" and senior citizens over the age of 62 are $19.99, and children 3 and under are free. Admission after 4:00 PM is $19.99 general admission, and $15.99 for children and senior citizens. A "Splash Pass" is also available, good for 10 visits during one season. The pass is a picture ID and is $99.50 for those over 48" tall, and $79.50 for those under 48" tall. Parking is available for $7.00 per vehicle. Locker are available for $7.00 plus a $3.00 deposit. Although food and beverages are not permitted in the park, a lunch pavilion is located in the park.

The Splish Splash website suggests arriving early, which is key, because even on the hottest of days arriving late will severly limit your hours when you won't be freezing during a ride (believe me). The first time I went to Splish Splash, we arrived at 3:00PM on a cloudy, mild day in August, after under estimating how long the drive would take, plus heavy traffic. The rides were a lot of fun, and it was definitely something that I wanted to do again, but there's nothing like stepping out a wave pool shivering to mess up your day.

Another thing to consider is attire. Bathing suits are required for all, and you are not permitted to wear any of the following while on a ride: belts, buckles, grommets, metal of any kind, or cut off jean shorts. Which means, for women at least, if you don't want to walk around all day in just a bathing suit, you can wrap your towel around your waist, or you can wear plain sweatshorts over your suit. Also, small cubbies are provided at each ride for you to stow your towel, but these cubbies are not locked, and Splish Splash is not responsible for any stolen valuables from these cubbies, so you should lock up anything you can't easily replace in a locker.

2549 Splish-Splash Drive
Riverhead, NY 11901
(516)727-3600


Directions

From New York City, Nassau County, or Western Suffolk County - Take the Long Island Expressway Eastbound to exit 72 West. Take the west ramp and turn left at the first traffic light onto Splish Splash Drive.

From The Hamptons - Take Sunrise Highway (Route 27) Westbound to Route 24 North to the traffic circle. Follow the sings for Main Street or Route 25 West. Take Route 25 West approximately 4 miles. Cross over the Long Island Expressway and turn left at the first traffic light onto Splish Splash Drive.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.