This card game is an excellent game for two bored people who like to think. It's built on the idea of solitaire but makes it into a cut-throat competition. You'll need two decks of cards, preferably with different back designs or colors.

Preparation

Both decks need to be thoroughly shuffled. One of the decks should have four jokers added. If your decks only come with two jokers each, use two from each deck (but put them in the same deck, so that you have one deck with 52 cards, and one deck with 56 cards).

Divide the 52-card deck evenly, giving each player 26 cards. Each player should put this pile of cards to his/her right, and turn the top card face up. Five cards are then dealt to each player from the 56-card deck; these form the players' hands.

The object of the game is to play all of the cards in your stockpile, one by one. The first person who can do this scores 1 point for every card left in his opponents stockpile. This game becomes excruciating when converted to hard score.

Play

The remainder of the 56-card deck is set in the center off to the side, and is known as the "stock" (not to be confused with the players' personal stockpiles).

Jokers are wild. Suits are irrelevant. The cards rank A 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 J Q K.

The player with the higher upcard goes first. If the first player holds an Ace, he can play it to the center of the table. Eight stacks can eventually be formed in the center. On the ace, a two can be played, etc. Again, suit is not a factor -- a two of diamonds may be played on an ace of clubs. Once a king has been played on a stack, no more cards may be played on that stack. When the player plays his upcard, s/he turns up the next card in his or her stockpile.

When the player is finished moving, s/he may discard one card to one of his/her discard piles. Four total discard piles are allowed, and they must descend in rank (but can mix suits). Cards of the same rank may be discarded on top of each other (so you can have a discard sequence like 10-9-9-8-7-7)). The discard piles can start with any card. After discarding, if desired, the player must draw however many cards are necessary to restore his hand to five cards.

In summary, the player whose turn it is may play as many cards as desired or possible from his hand, his discard piles, or (preferably) his stockpile. Again, the object is to play all of the cards in his stockpile. Cards in the discard pile must be played in ascending order, i.e., they are pushed onto the pile and must be popped off of it. Last in, first out. If you have a discard pile that runs 9-8-7-7-6, only the 6 may be played. Then the 7s may be played, etc.

If a player manages to play all of the cards in his/her hand in the same turn, s/he may immediately draw five more and continue playing.

If the stock is down to 12 cards or fewer, all the center stacks that have been formed are gathered, shuffled together, and turned face down to make a new stock.

If a player's upcard is an ace, s/he must play it to a center stack on his or her turn. Same if s/he has an ace in a discard pile.

Jokers can be discarded. The player does not have to declare their ranks until they are played to the center. However, a joker may not be discarded onto a 2.

If a player has no legal moves, turn passes to the next player.

Scoring

The player who plays all of his or her stockpile first wins. Soft score is 1 point per card left in the opponent's stockpile. Hard score could be anything. The Hollywood scoring system for Gin Rummy could also be used for more complex scoring.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.