Spilling Poetry is a band. Formed in Lubbock, Texas circa 1994, they are a product of a struggling music scene. They combine catchy sweet melodies and indie rock. They played over 500 shows all over west texas and still stayed fresh and exciting each time. This is the story of a local band that didn't make it to the big time but still managed to enrich many peoples lives.

Discography
Invisible (1994)
Microphonic (1996)
Telepathetic (1997)
Untitled (???)

The first cd was released in 1994, it was recorded over a very short period. Self-released, self-produced the record, Invisible, had its flaws. The band was still able to sell the 1000 cds in a few short months. They continued to play anywhere and everywhere. Next they recorded a short six song demo tape named Microphonic. It contained several songs that became the staple of college radio stations in the area.

(Which I consequently received for free while dancing in the front of one of their shows. I was the only one not sitting at the bar. ;-))

The band continued and surprised everyone with the full length album Telepathetic. It was full of beautiful melodies. Sometimes I still find myself chanting "Don't Burn, don't burn me out" from the first song on the cd. It contained a re-recording of the song Stealing Flowers from their first cd. It is the beautiful tail of how the lead singer Brian met his wife:

"I met this girl the other day, we talked for hours.
I saw this girl the other day she said she's sorry.
She can't be that way"

The band played the east coast. Lived in a van for a while. Came back home and played at Texas Tech University a few times. I saw them play a halloween party where they did a very memorable cover of Head Like A Hole by Nine Inch Nails. I stole a poster that hangs on my wall to this day...

The band eventually began work on a new album. Constantly new songs were appearing online. It seemed each song was better than the last. All seemed well until an ominous email sent to the mailing list:

"We've decided to call it a day...
...it was unanimous...
...we're still in shock."

The band as of May 17, 2001 is no more. The new album was completed and mixed. Many of the songs are available for download and the future of the last Spilling Poetry album is unknown at this point.

"I would quit my job tomorrow
and write these songs of sorrow
Its only money anyway
To be able to look at my life
look up at my life from the bottom"

Most of their collection is available in mp3 format from www.spillingpoetry.com. The guys never were signed to a major label and they never became rock stars. But they changed my life the way that only great music can when you're a teenager. And I hope that is some sort of indication of what a great band they were.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.