This is a store cupboard special. It was a Sunday, and for whatever reason we hadn't been shopping, but nor had we taken anything out of the freezer to defrost. Clearly, the frozen prawns were going to be the easiest to thaw.
A fossick around the cupboards came up with the other ingredients, and not too long later we had dinner, and a very good dinner at that.
I prefer the low fat option of the flavoured evaporated milk, but if the fat content doesn't concern you, go with the richer coconut cream.
This would be equally good to use up left over roast chicken, lamb or pork.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or wok and add garlic and spices.
- Add onions and mushrooms and fry until softened but not coloured
- Add sweet chilli sauce and stir in before adding coconut milk.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for about 5 minutes to reduce.
- Add desiccated coconut and stir in.
- Add prawns and simmer for another 5 minutes or until prawns are heated through.
- Serve with basmati rice.