A free speech bastion in London's Hyde Park near the beautiful and impressive Marble Arch. Anyone with an opinion and a soapbox can (and frequently does) let it all hang out for the idly curious who gather (Sunday afternoon is a good time to go). The crowds get upset if you degrade their Queen. There are lots of Scotland Yard representatives on hand to keep order.

A recent sampling of speakers/topics included:

Your mileage may vary.

On September 14, 1855, a crowd gathered in a part of London known as Marble Arch to protest a law called the Sunday Trading Bill. This trading bill, in essence, made any major business transactions (such as purchasing food or ale) prohibited on Sundays in the city. Since most lower class workers received their wages late Saturday afternoons, this bill affected them most adversely.

Nearly a century earlier, speeches had been delivered at the same location condemning the steady stream of public hangings at nearby Tyburn Scaffold. These speeches often were interspersed with the pathetic last words of the condemned. Perhaps due to these protests at Marble Arch, the executions around that time (1783) were moved to Newgate prison instead.

The now-fashionable corner of Hyde Park remained a site for orations by would-be reformers, suffragettes, tub-thumpers and others. The only restrictions on Speakers Corner pulpiteers were that they avoid slander, obscenities, incitement of riots and (perhaps above all) blasphemy.

The corner still hosts the occasional speech or two given during an afternoon, although gatherings are less organized and obviously much less effective in bringing about reform.

Many other countries have adopted their own "surrogate" Speakers Corners, perhaps most sucessfully Canada's "Speakers Corner", an electronic televised version adopted by CHUM Limited Broadcasting in 1990, first located on the corner of Queen Street West and John Street in Toronto.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.