What: Installment #3 of Nature Trail to Hell, except no longer Appalachian, but Tobaccy Country Redneck

When: DATE CHANGE!!! October 10, 2003 to October 13, 2003 (better known as Columbus Day weekend)… or a coupla days either way, for those who want to arrive early or leave late

Who: YOU, gwenllian, Strong_Bow79, Rowan and Ian

If you need to get a hold of us, here's the contact info:

gwenllian:

  • e-mail: martinagthompson@yahoo.com
  • Yahoo! Messenger: martinagthompson
  • AIM: mgthompsonrn
  • phone: (270)522-9730 (please, no obscene phone calls...)

Strong_Bow79:

  • mobile phone: (931)278-2908

Where: 202 Pleasant Hill Church Rd, Cadiz KY 42211

Take your best route to I-24, KY Exit 65. Exit onto Hwy 68/80 West. Go through one stoplight, one flashing light, then at the second flashing light (past the golf course) turn left on 139 South. Follow 139 South for about 5 miles, then turn right on Pleasant Hill Church Road. At the bottom of the deep valley, turn right onto a gravel driveway, and voila! There you are… (yes, signs WILL be posted at the important intersections…)

Why: Because we can, dammit! And because czeano has laid the Appalachian series to rest… and because we’re crazy… and because Tennessee has lenient fireworks laws…


Children welcome - I've got two of my own, and a big wooden swingset... pets welcome, too, as long as they get along with other animals (I have two outside dogs) and children... oh, and if you bring a cat, it'll have to stay in a tent, since I'm very allergic - sorry...

OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER:

I've got kids. Do NOT do anything around them that I will have to pay for therapy for. Also, I have friends in the local police force, who might possibly (though unlikely) stop by at some point. If you're doing something illegal, please make sure you're VERY discreet about it. My policy is, no illegal NOTHIN', but like I said, if you must indulge, indulge discreetly. Drinking, I'm not worried about, since y'all aren't driving anywhere... ;-)


The layout:

I have 6 ½ acres of land, about 2 ½ flat and cleared, and 4 wooded. I have a creek that may or may not have running water in it, but always has some little pools.
I have a small house, with limited crash space available in the kids’ room and living room, as well as a small shed. I’ve got a tent that sleeps up to ten people, which will be available for sleeping space as well.
There is a bathroom with tub and shower by the kids’ room, and we will try to rig an outdoor shower as well.

The surroundings:

I live about ten miles from the Land Between the Lakes Recreational Area. There is swimming, fishing, hiking, a small planetarium, elk and bison, and lots more.
I live in the middle of the country. There are horses, cows, sheep and goats all around the place, as well as a huge pig.
Cadiz is a small town, but it does have a pool as well as 3 grocery stores, several pizza places, fast food, and an awesome Mexican restaurant.
Trigg County is a DRY county, so come prepared, or send me to Ft. Campbell’s Class Six (alcohol) store, where the prices are low and the selection is big.
For those who are Chick-fil-A – aholics, Clarksville TN (35 miles) does have a Chick-fil-A, as well as several Waffle Houses, a fireworks store, and a Krispy Kreme. Sorry, update - Strong_Bow79 says there isn't a Krispy Kreme, and I guess he ought to know, since he lives there... There is an awesome Korean restaurant in Clarksville as well, and Murray KY (where I USED TO go to Murray State University) has the BEST Chinese buffet known to man.
Nashville TN is about 90 miles southeast, and there’s a really cool Goth night on Sunday, for those so inclined.

Things to do at the house:

LATE BREAKING NEWS: Due to the date change, this event now coincides with the Trigg County Ham Festival, home of the world record holding ham biscuit (don't believe me, look up "largest ham biscuit" in the Guinness Book of World Records), and such can't-miss events as the greased-pig-catching contest. NOW you've absolutely GOT to come!!!

There is a definite possibility of turning this into an explodermeet by going for a nighttime swim on a to a Tennessee beach (Tennessee, as I stated above, having very lenient fireworks laws...)

czeano has volunteered his expertise on setting up a wireless network. At this point, I unfortunately have dialup only (which may change, I don’t know) but I do have two computers available. More to come.

Food plans:

Guaranteed food available: Gwen's special chocolate cake, banana cake, and Russian Cream. Cookout food of some type will also definitely make an appearance, as will corn on the cob.

(watch this space for future announcements)


Definitely coming:

Possibly coming:

  • CzarKhan is intrigued...
  • Bitriot REALLY REALLY wants to come...
  • czeano is a definite maybe (he better come, he's responsible for setting up a wireless network... ;-) )
  • ocelotbob if work craziness doesn't interfere...
  • Phyllis_Stein hopes so...
  • etouffee wants to be put down as a maybe sorta/kinda...
  • enth is SO there if he has the wherewithall by the end of the summer...
  • momomom wants to come and bring her 15 yr old...
  • mirv if his school schedule allows...
  • Scribe is a definite maybe...
  • NinjaPenguin is a definite maybe too...
  • Wuukiee and mcc are definitely interested...
  • PMDboi if his ride goes...
  • s_alanet is a definite maybe as well...
  • evadyne is a go if the rest of the Purdue crowd makes it...
  • Lucy-S is a maybe too...
  • nocte will sell her ovaries to come if ocelotbob does...
  • 1010011010 is interested in coming too...
  • borgo and borgette are strong maybes...
  • bishopred1 would really like to come...
  • Chiisuta is a hopeful possible and will bring spirituous liquors if she comes...
  • Metacognizant is a maybe too...

Definitely not coming:

  • Pseudo_Intellectual says he can't make it due to that pesky other-side-of-the-continent thing, but wishes us to blow some bubbles for him (we'll delegate that task to his namesake...)
  • Eco says he lives in faraway Oregon and has no travel funds... *sigh*


What happened:

nobody showed

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.