Soundwave was one of the Decepticons in Transformers; in other words a bad guy. He could transform into a cassette player that could record the secret plans of the Autobots or transmit messages back to Cybertron. He has the ability to hear faint noises and a limited ability to read minds. He is distinguished from the other Decepticons by his distorted voice with blue, white and yellow as his colours. He could also eject cassette tapes that could transform into smaller robots (also know as the Cassetticons). These smaller robots helped him render various tasks such as espionage, defense or offense against both Autobots and Decepticons.

Among the Cassetticons were:

Squawktalk and Beastbox could combine to form a bigger robot called Squawkbox.

In the French version of Transformers, Soundwave is known as Radar.

Transforms from cassette recorder to robot and back!

DECEPTICON: SOUNDWAVE

FUNCTION: COMMUNICATIONS
"Cries and screams are music to my ears."

It is said SOUNDWAVE can hear a fly sneeze. Uses anything he hears for blackmail to advance his status. Opportunist. Despised by all other Decepticons. Sensors can detect even lowest energy radio transmissions. Able to read minds by monitoring electrical brain impulses. Acts as radio link for others. Locates and identifies Autobots, then informs Decepticons. Carries a concussion blaster gun. Often target of retaliation by his comrades.

  • Strength: 8
  • Intelligence: 9
  • Speed: 2
  • Endurance: 6
  • Rank: 8
  • Courage: 5
  • Firepower: 6
  • Skill: 10
Transformers Tech Specs


Soundwave was always my mom's favorite Transformer in the cartoon, for a simple and common reason: she loved his voice (a unique monotonic cyber-sounding effect created by extensive computer modulation at the production house) and the way he always talked in colons ("Ravage: eject!", "Operation: Infiltration", that sort of thing). I loved him because of that and the way you could stick cassette Decepticons into his chest. In the cartoon Soundwave would always pop open his chest and eject as many cassettes as the mission required; in the toy, unfortunately, only one would fit in there at a time.

Soundwave was also notable for the fact that his head almost exactly resembled the Decepticon insignia, although no one really knew why, and the cartoon never commented on this. No Autobot had the same distinction. Possibly he received the honor in special recognition for some act in battle that caused him to lose his normal voice and ability to form proper sentences.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.