Songs of West Side Story is a collection of songs from Leonard Bernstein's 1957 masterpiece performed by talented popular jazz, R&B and pop artists. Released in 1996, Songs of West Side Story was organized by David Pack, a long-time friend of the Bernstein family and frontman of the band Ambrosia. The songs were all reorchestrated and modernized, each according to the style of the performer. Bernstein's timeless songs transfer well into almost any format, making for a truly superb album. Highlights include Chick Corea and Steve Vai's rendition of The Rumble, Cool performed by Patti Austin, Bruce Hornsby and Mervyn Warren and America performed by Natalie Cole, Patti Labelle and Sheila E. Little Richard's hilarious rendition of I Feel Pretty is also a winner. This album holds great appeal for a wide audience: fans of the original score, followers of any of the artists featured and anybody who likes good upbeat, jazzy music.

Track Listing

  1. Something's Coming
  2. A Boy Like That
  3. Maria
  4. Prologue/Jet Song
  5. Tonight
  6. Cool
  7. Somewhere
  8. America
  9. I Feel Pretty
  10. One Hand, One Heart
  11. Gee, Officer Krupke
  12. I Have A Love
  13. Prelude To The Rumble
  14. The Rumble
  15. Prelude To Somewhere
    • Orchestra
  16. Somewhere


Sources:
www.cdnow.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.