"So, what kind of work do you do?"

"And how exactly does that contribute to society?"

  • I design hardware for construction companies to test materials.
  • I teach teenagers the value of great literature.
  • I provide babies and young children a loving environment while their parents are at work.
  • I take care of injections at the hospital whenever they're needed.
  • I develop intranet tools to help small businesses organize their projects.
  • I serve restaurant customers their food and help them to feel comfortable while they're there.
  • I organize and update the books and media that people can use freely every day.
  • I design logos and ads to inform people about new products.
  • I strip and dance on a platform for tips from men who have left their girlfriends, wives, and/or self-respect somewhere else.

"Really?..."

I guess it's a case of how you define what you do. Let's reframe:

"So, what kind of work do you do?"

  • I'm an engineer.
  • I'm an English teacher.
  • I'm a home child care provider.
  • I'm an IV nurse.
  • I'm a web programmer.
  • I'm a waitress.
  • I'm a librarian.
  • I'm a commercial artist.
  • I'm an exotic dancer.

"And how exactly does that contribute to society?"

  • I make sure that the materials construction companies use are safe and fit for their purpose, protecting people from harm.
  • I open the minds of teenagers to the beauty of words and imagery and stimulate their brains.
  • I provide babies and young children with love and care while their parents provide for their physical needs, and allow the parents the personal fulfilment they need to provide the same love and care outside work.
  • I help to make sick people well, or ease their pain.
  • I assist busy people to organise their work to ease their stress, and make them happier.
  • I ensure that people who come out for a pleasant evening of relaxation enjoy this leisure time.
  • I provide people with easy access to information to help them achieve what they want to do.
  • I create beauty or functionality.
  • I help people who are sad, depressed or lonely find sanctuary for a while from their hurt and unhappiness.

Now that I can respect.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.