A common skeletal muscle relaxant also known as carisoprodol or vanadom. it works by blocking nerve impulses to the brain.


side effects include:

  • allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face)
  • paralysis (loss of feeling) or extreme weakness
  • vision loss
  • agitation or tremor
  • drowsiniss or dizziness
  • headache
  • depression
  • blurred vision
  • insomnia
  • hiccups
  • A soma cube is a small puzzle, in the class of spatial puzzles. It is a 3x3x3 cube of pieces that are difficult to get back into the original shape.


    SOMA is my home!

    SOMA is San Francisco's equivalent to New York's SOHO. SOHO is an area or district on Manhattan Island. The name SOHO was given to the area just South of Houston Street in Manhattan. Likewise SOMA also refers to an area, based on its location relative to a main street. SOMA is south of Market Street.


    Being south of Market Street is roughly being just south of down town San Francisco. Currently It is an area that is rapidly changing from old industrial warehouses to large loft complexes, It has been said that the SOMA area has the highest concentration of dot.coms in the world, but don't let that keep you away. I have lived in SOMA for the past half year and love it. The SOMA area has much to do, see and eat.


    See Also: the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Yerba Buena Gardens, The Sony Metreon, Pac Bell Park and the Oakland Bay Bridge.


    Note:Some of the above links are unavailable, I am working on getting them out.

    (Hinduism) (Sanskrit)

    1. The moon, as known as Chandra;
    2. an intoxicating celestial beverage enjoyed by the residents of the moon in Vedic Cosmology; a drug, made from the juice of the Soma plant.

    A bar in Stepney that one could enter without fear of death or mutilation?? Never!

    Soma in Stepney was a remarkable piece of jungle-entrepeneurship: a bar in the heart of the eastest East End, across the street from Stepney Green tube station, which is one of the most deprived areas of London and not particularly known for its good bars.

    Or Pubs.

    Or shops.

    I'm sure you know what I mean: think a mixture between Mad Max III, Dakha and an american trailer trash park.

    Soma dared to invade this area and showcase the other London, that of cool bars, good music and safe, stress free partying.

    Entering the bar, you first noticed the extremely good music pumping out of the speakers: good house spinners alternated at the tables with guest DJ's, always serving a good portion of funk, old school, R&B and reggae.

    The drinks matched the music: a set of good cocktails and a list of impressive beers on tap (Hoegaarden, Red Stripe, Loewenbraeu and Guiness) were enough to keep you happy for a couple of hours.

    Interieur was simple with a couple of extremely comfortable old sofas and some plain wooden tables. Service was young and friendly and pretty clued up.

    All in it was a pleasureable experience, a beacon right from the 21. century in an area where darkness still prevails. Unfortunately it burned down in 2008.

    Soma and LSD: Drugs in Brave New World and Ours

    “…there is always soma, delicious soma, half a gramme for a half-holiday, a gramme for a week-end, two grammes for a trip to the gorgeous East, three for a dark eternity on the moon…” – Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World
    …How about a positive LSD story? That would be newsworthy, don't you think? … Just once, to hear a positive LSD story: 'Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather.'”Bill Hicks, comedian (1961-1994)

    Soma, the futuristic wonder drug, unquestionably plays as a significant, reoccurring symbol in Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World (BNW). It may not be Huxley’s intention to make it a commentary on drug use directly, but it certainly is one of religion. It had even been described as having all of the advantages of Christianity, but with none of the defects. Quite a bleak and straightforward view of religion, I would say. But I digress; reading about soma in the world created by Huxley immediately made, for myself, connections with LSD in our society. This should be no surprise as it is known that Huxley was introduced to LSD in 1955 by Al Hubbard (fairly well known LSD user and supporter). This was just two years after being introduced to mescaline by psychologist Humphry Osmond.

    The history of LSD is somewhat well known to anyone who has ever touched upon anywhere near the subject. With much controversy, psychologists experimented with the drug in hopes to find a cure for schizophrenia in the early 1950’s. Since then, like other drugs, it has gone through its phases of culture and crime. Still today the drug exists with relatively easy access in a number of developed areas, and still bears its use with specific cultures. As it would also be obvious, LSD carries both tales of the amazingly indescribable “psychedelic” experiences and the more common possibly over dramatized horror stories that come with use.

    I’m not sure what there is to say about the use of LSD versus or in comparison to that of soma in the novel. I more found it to be an interesting connection than anything else. I did consider this, however: I’d much rather see people doing LSD illegally under their own free will, knowing there is a number of side effects, rather than a world where people induce themselves to a “holiday”, with no possible physical consequences, whenever the “need” arose.

     

    Quick journal written for my Grade 12 Writer's Craft course for a response to, obviously, Brave New World.

    Node your homework.

    Soma and Samadhi


    Soma is a psychedelic drink made from combining the juice of young hemp plants and Amanita Muscaria mushrooms with milk.


    Soma allows the mind to withdraw from further than it normally would from the physical world. Having shut out the senses, the mind expands outward. However, without the proper mental preparation, the mind will undoubtedly be pulled back inward, resulting in chaos and uncertainty. When consumed in conjunction with advanced yogic meditation, Soma is said to help induce something called Samadhi.


    Samadhi is a state of mind, usually reached through meditation, where one is said to be in communion with the cosmic consciousness. While in Samadhi, one is in the embrace of the World and the Self and is said to possess illumined wisdom.


    From the Prasna Upanishad: “Just as the rays of the setting Sun are all gathered in that orb of light, and they issue forth when it rises again, even so all is gathered up in the mind, which perceives everything.”


    See Also:Psychedelic Yoga, Fly Agaric Overdose

    So"ma (?), n. [NL., fr. Gr. , , the body.] Anat.

    The whole axial portion of an animal, including the head, neck, trunk, and tail.

    B. G. Wilder.

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.