This is how we call our sun and our solar system...at least officially. It's funny that in most science-fiction stories, our sun is always named Sol and the Earth Terra. These are both good names, and have their backgrounds, but in all probability people will always be calling the Sun "the Sun" and the Earth "the Earth". It's just that we are still completely self-centered and see ourselves as unique (and frequently alone) in the universe.

Of course we do, we've never been anywhere else!

It is only logical that the sun (our sun) become THE Sun. Do not expect us to walk around anytime soon and say "Sol is shining pretty brightly today". Maybe someday, when we have expanded across such distances and so many solar systems, we MUST call a sun by its name.

The monetary unit of Peru. It is divided into 100 centimos.

Originally introduced in 1874, replacing the peso, it was divided into 100 centavos. Between 1985 and 1991 it was replaced by the inti, but in that year hyperinflation forced another currency reform, and the sol was reintroduced.

The plural is soles. The symbol is S/., as in S/. 5.00.

The "currencyist" account does not want to collect XP; please don't waste a downvote.

Sol (?), n. [L.]

1.

The sun.

2. (Alchem.)

Gold; -- so called from its brilliancy, color, and value. Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913


Sol (?), n. [It.] (Mus.)

(a)

A syllable applied in solmization to the note G, or to the fifth tone of any diatonic scale.

(b)

The tone itself.

 

© Webster 1913


Sol (?), n. [See Sou.]

1.

A sou.

2.

A silver and gold coin of Peru. The silver sol is the unit of value, and is worth about 68 cents.

 

© Webster 1913


Sol Sole (?), n. [From hydrosol an aqueous colloidal solution, confused with G. sole, soole, salt water from which salt is obtained.] (Chem.)

A fluid mixture of a colloid and a liquid; a liquid colloidal solution or suspension.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.