Breadsticks are surprisingly easy to make. These chewy breadsticks are made with healthy whole-wheat flour and are coated in sesame seeds, giving them a nice nutty flavor. They make great appetizers and taste great with a variety of dips and spreads. You can omit the seeds if you like and make simple whole-wheat breadsticks instead.

Makes about 36 breadsticks.

You will need:

Preparation:

Mix the yeast and honey into the warm water in a small bowl and let it sit for about five minutes to activate the yeast. While waiting, mix the two types of flour and the salt in a medium bowl and make a well in the center. When the five minutes are up pour the yeast mixture into the well and stir everything with a spoon or your hands. When the dough is partially mixed add the olive oil and finish mixing.

Pull the dough out of the bowl and place it on a flat surface that has been dusted with flour. Knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes or until it is no longer sticky. Add additional white flour if the dough becomes too sticky to handle. However, be careful to not add too much flour as this will make the breadsticks dense.

Once the dough is kneaded place it in a clean bowl that has been lightly rubbed or sprayed with olive oil. Place a clean, damp towel over the bowl. Leave the bowl in a warm place and let the dough rise until it has doubled in size. This will take about thirty minutes to an hour.

Punch down the risen dough and divide it in half. Roll the halves into logs and cut each log into about 18 pieces. Take each piece and use your hands to roll them into sticks that are eight inches long.

Brush the sticks with the egg white using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon. Then roll the sticks in the sesame seeds. Place the sticks on two oiled baking sheets and bake them for about seven minutes in a 500 degree oven.



These breadsticks are best eaten warm. Serve with a dip like hummus or marinara sauce or slather with a cheese spread. Yum.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.