An action blockbuster from Hong Kong released in 2002.

Film site:http://www.so-close.com

Director : Corey Yuen

Starring:

Shu Qi (Hsu Chi) as Lyn
Zhao Wei as Sue
Karen Mok as Officer Hung

Review/Synopsis

The movie starts with a virus attack on the computer system of a large company which makes various terminals spark and explode. However it is soon stopped by the mysterious 'Computer Angel' and the CEO of the company asks his men to find her.

The next day a woman claiming to be the Computer Angel appears in the lobby saying she has an appointment with the boss. Once she meets him she reveals that her true purpose was to get up to his office so she can assassinate him and not let anyone get in her way.

She is not alone in her attack however as she has an assistant who has hacked into the security system via satellite and jams it with the song 'Close to You' so none of the cameras pick her up.

After the attack back at the woman's house we find out her name is Lyn and that she works with her younger sister Sue using a system that her father designed that allows them to access all the CCTV systems in the world via satellite and that they are paid assassins who were originally forced to work for money when criminals tried to steal the system off their father by killing him and their mother.

Back at the crime scene we meet Officer Hung who ruffles a few feathers with her approach, but she is determined to catch the killer. Later that day while waiting for an informant to arrive she plays a game with her partner that involves asking embarrassing questions and then she makes fun of him for taking it so seriously.

The people who paid for the assassination of the CEO want another job done and ask the two sisters but an old friend of Lyn's has arrived in town and she tells Sue to cancel the contract. While she is out to dinner she worries that her sister hasn't called her. Checking the cameras in her house she finds that her sister has gone off to do the job without her and she rushes to try and rescue her not knowing that Officer Hung and various hit men are after her. What follows is an excellent fight sequence in underground parking garage where Lyn and Office Hung end up handcuffed together as well as being shot at by the hit men.

Next day is Lyn and Officer Hung's birthday so Sue sends her a cake and watches on the police station cameras when she opens it. What she didn't count on is that Hung knew the bakery she bought it from and is after her. A huge police chase follows and Sue gets her sister to find escape routes for her via computer, not knowing that at the same time a large number of hit men are trying to kill her sister...

This is an excellent movie if you just ignore the bullshit premise of being able to hack into a CCTV system. It's not called a CLOSED circuit TV for nothing! Normally Hong Kong movies are not this stupid with technology. I suspect it was the Hollywood studio involvement that allowed this.

Despite this the excellent action sequences more than make up for it including great Matrix inspired fight scenes in the skyscraper. The best two of these are at the start with Lyn and another one which I'll let you find out for yourself.

Rating : 9/10

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.