Habitually idle and lazy; dull;
I wake up on Sundays and turn off my alarm clock, sure I will be out of bed in a minute and showered in ten and dressed in twenty. I have a list of things that need to be done not too pressingly; file bank statements, fold clean laundry on chair, unpack books, hang posters. When it is six o'clock I am scared to find myself still in pajama pants and resign myself to long evening home with fat foods.

Slow; having little motion
After a while the humming in an office full of computer geeks will get to me. My eyes have been hard to focus and it seems like the text on my screen is fuzzier and I find myself leaning forward and squinting more often. My legs ache with the same relaxed position and my head feels like it could fall forward or backwards and the air would not breathe.

I have not been going to the gym, I have been lying. I bring my sneakers and leggings and sports bra and tee shirt to work and then I sit in an evenly heated dying cubicle and look at the gym bag confusedly.

Having no power to move one's self or itself; inert.
My life seems to be stagnating. I do not work on my current task at work even though I have the answers and need just type a few hours of effort. I am not searching nor finding, I am dragging my way from day to day to day, early late middling nights and the toes of my shoes are scuffed from the way I move my feet. No lift, I am barely breathing.

Slug"gish (?), a.

1.

Habitually idle and lazy; slothful; dull; inactive; as, a sluggish man.

2.

Slow; having little motion; as, a sluggish stream.

3.

Having no power to move one's self or itself; inert.

Matter, being impotent, sluggish, and inactive, hath no power to stir or move itself. Woodward.

And the sluggish land slumbers in utter neglect. Longfellow.

4.

Characteristic of a sluggard; dull; stupid; tame; simple.

[R.] "So sluggish a conceit."

Milton.

Syn. -- Inert; idle; lazy; slothful; indolent; dronish; slow; dull; drowsy; inactive. See Inert.

-- Slug"gish*ly, adv. -- Slug"gish*ness, n.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.