I've been slowly working on my posture for a year now, trying to get rid of a slouch that showed up around age eight, or so I'm told. I've also been attempting sporadic meditation and general daily mindfulness for the last few years. It's strange all of the things that go on in our semiconscious awareness without ever getting promoted to direct conscious attention. I'm going to try and do a node dedicated to all of the minutia one day but for now I want to focus on what I've noticed about posture.

Standing up straight makes me angrier. Alternatively, good posture, with back straight and shoulders thrown back makes anger feel more pressing and more urgent. I'm not sure if there is a difference between those two descriptions but I can still feel and hold on to anger with my typical slouch. This makes sense from an evo-psych perspective. When preparing to fight it's desirable to try and attain ones full height. The converse is also true, when trying to defuse a situation one wants to look as nonthreatening as possible. If these two parts are linked then it stands to reason that they would be wired together neurologically such that the signal can travel both ways. Suppressing anger not only causes one to slouch but the slouch also helps suppress anger. Of course I'm just one data point and I'm curious whether anybody else has noticed this.

IRON NODER: WE'LL RUST WHEN WE'RE DEAD

Slouch"ing, a.

Hanging down at the side; limp; drooping; without firmness or shapeliness; moving in an ungainly manner.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.