I was first introduced to the idea of a one-skillet breakfast when going camping with my family. The basic idea is to use a single cast iron skillet or dutch oven to fry bacon, cook potatoes in the rendered bacon grease, and then crack fresh eggs over the top. Variations include adding onions or cheese. This works equally well at home or in camp. Sometimes you'll see dishes like this on restaurant menus listed as skillet breakfasts or farmer omelettes.

This particular recipe leaves out the potatoes (but something like Swiss fried potatoes can easily be served on the side) and instead of bacon uses andouille, a wonderful Cajun smoked sausage made from pork. Andouille makes a perfect compliment to the onion and peppers in this dish.

Ingredients

Method

Dice the onions, peppers, and sausage. Preheat the broiler. In a ten-inch cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat (not too hot or the butter will burn). As soon as the butter turns all liquid throw in the onions, peppers, and sausage, and sauté for about ten minutes, until the onions are limp. While this is cooking, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them together just long enough to blend the yolks and whites. Add the salt and the black and red pepper to the eggs and whisk a few short seconds. When the onions are limp, pour the eggs into the skillet, covering the vegetables as evenly as possible. There is no need to do any more stirring. By this time, the broiler should be ready. Put the whole skillet under the broiler for five minutes. Serve piping hot, dishing it right out of the skillet onto the dining plate.

Makes eight servings as part of breakfast or brunch, or serves four as a stand-alone meal.


This recipe is adapted from one I found in Commander's Kitchen by Ti Adelaide Martin and Jamie Shannon. Jamie served as executive chef at Commander's Palace in New Orleans until his untimely death in 2001. Rest in peace, Jamie.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.