Heavy Metal band from the late 80s, early 90s. They formed in 1986 and were one of the last big metal bands, before alternative music took control of the air. Their first major single was "18 and Life" off their self-titled album (it was also the reason I bought the tape and later the CD).

The band:
Rob Affuso - drums
Sebastian Bach - lead vocals
Rachel Bolan - bass, vocals
Scotti Hill - guitar, vocals
'Snake' Sabo - guitar, vocals
They had several more albums with Slave to the Grind (their 2nd album) doing really well, but after that their popularity waned. I believe Sebastain Bach is currently touring solo.
Albums:
Subhuman Beings on Tour (live) -- Import (1998)
Subhuman Race -- WEA (1995)
B-Sides Ourselves -- Atlantic Records (1992)
Slave to the Grind -- Atlantic Records (1991)
Slave to the Grind (Edited) -- Atlantic Records (1991)
s/t -- Atlantic Records (1989)
Live in Moscow -- Atlantic Records (1989)

In the 1850's, Seattle had a thriving timber industry. In order to move large logs, Mill Street (now named Yesler way after the founder of the first mill) was covered in oiled wooden planks. Logs slid easily down this "skid road."

At the end of a long day, the mill employees would go out looking for a party. As a result, the area around the skid road became home to many bars, liquor stores, prostitutes, and people who were down on their luck.

A visiting Chicago newsperson decided to write a story about the area, but misunderstood the term, instead referring to the area as "skid row." That is the origin of the phrase.

So now you know!

for more information about Seattle's skid road district, see: http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/seattle/s28.htm and http://seattle.citysearch.com/E/V/SEAWA/0009/85/33/cs1.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.