I am happy to correct a glaring deficiency in Everything. Not having an entry for Silver Oak is like not having an entry for Slashdot, Linux, or Food.

Silver Oak is by far the most respected of California Ultra-Premium wines. There are better wines, of course, and there are more expensive wines most certainly, but Silver Oak offers an incredible product with the kind of consistency that nobody else has ever managed.

Silver Oak Vinyards only produces Cabernet. There is no Pinot, no Merlot, nothing else. Just the Cabernet. They turn out around 50,000 cases of it a year, a volume that's 10 times what most Ultra-Premium vinyards produce. You probably won't see it in a supermarket because it's snapped up the day it appears.

Everything about this wine is first rate; it's everything that a good Cabernet should be. It has character, depth, wonderful tannins, and complexity and elegance at the same time.

Priced around $60 retail, expect to pay $100-$130 in restaurants for recent vintages. Older wines will cost more, of course.

If you are at all interested in wines, you owe it to yourself to get some ASAP. While you're at it, get me some, too!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.