Located near the village of Avebury
, Silbury Hill is a large flat-topped artificial
mound. It is nearly 130 feet high with a base circumference
of about 1640 feet and is composed mainly of chalk
. The hill was built in three stages, with the earliest stage begun circa 2660 B.C.
. The final stage consisted of the building of six concentric terraces
which were covered with flint
to form a cone-shaped mound.
The original purposes of Silbury Hill remains unknown, although there are many legends attached to the site. One legend claims that the site is the burial place of a forgotten King; while other claim that a solid gold horse and rider lurk within. One of the more popular explanations for the hill is that it served as a symbolic effigy for the Mother Goddess and represents fertility; another popular explanation is that the hill was used as a solar observatory.
Sources: Megalithic Sites and Mounds (Maintained by Chris Witcombe)
Fortean Times Online