The fifth novel in Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City series, in which Brian has an AIDS scare, Mary Ann gets herself on Entertainment Tonight, and Michael finally meets a new love(on Alcatraz - in a cell)and gets a romantic love scene on the top of a hill in an exclusive men's summer camp. Meanwhile, DeDe and D'orothea visit a women-only music festival, and DeDe trades adultery for a cheeseburger and some French fries. Also stars the most beautiful fat woman in the world. Sharp, witty and endearing, like all the others.


See Tales of the City Metanode for other books and character profiles.

Some people think that there is only one true love out there for everyone. Not so! There are dozens of “ones” out there for you! But that doesn’t mean you go looking for another one every night. But what is does mean is that if and when you come upon a parting of ways with a significant other, do not despair, there are more out there for you.

How much does it hurt to lose someone that you really thought you loved, or that you really did love? It makes you want to give up at times, and it makes you feel like there’s something wrong with you. It makes you cry, it makes you wonder if there’s anything left for you now that you’re alone. But most of us always make it through. Ask yourself whether you would really have wanted to go through life without knowing what “love” is.

Love is a beautifully complex thing, and no one will ever be able to figure it out completely because it’s always changing, always evolving, always something it wasn’t a moment ago. Love is the way you feel when you wake up and they’re not there. Love is the lump in your throat and the knot in your stomach you get when you see them after a long time. Love is sharing something you noticed during the day with them and having them listen and understand. Love is everything you make it to be, and everything you cause it not to be. Learn from your mistakes and don’t repeat them, and for goodness’ sake, don’t lose a good love over stupid pride.

And remember, “If winter comes, can spring be far behind?”

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.