German multilevel electrical engineering/electronics company with over 440 000 employees in over 190 countries.
Over 150 years in business...
Approx. 1 000 000 products!
Second biggest mobile phone manufacturer after Nokia with Motorola.

Also on the top of development of GPRS and UMTS.

Siemens' hedquarters is located at München Germany.

It's a little known fact, but Siemens used to produce all mobile phones for Sony up to the Sony CMD Zx models. So they had plenty of experience prior to coming up with their own range of cellphones - they were the first to bring out a shock/dust/water proof phone, the M35 model. Some of their phones also feature color screens, WAP, and with the addition of S42 to the range will also feature an MP3 player. Cool.

Siemens is the official SI unit measuring the electric conductance of a material. For all practical purposes, conductance is the reciprocal of resistance, that is:

Conductance = 1/Resistance

The siemens (abbreviated S; not to be confused with the lower-case s for seconds), can be expressed in SI base units as:

S = m-2·kg-1·s3·A2

Of course, realizing that the siemens is the reciprocal of the ohm would give you the much simpler formula derived from Ohm's Law:

S = A/V

It is interesting to point out that the siemens used to be known as the mho (ohm spelled backwards) up until 1971, when the new name was adopted at the 14th Conférence Générale des Poids et Mesures, in the middle of a move to rename units after dead, important people in the field (in this case, Werner von Siemens).

Many of you who have casually taken physics or maybe even entry-level electrical engineering may not have heard of this unit. It really isn't one of the more important ones (it IS a reciprocal, after all). Plus, no teacher would want to be caught mouthing "That's a lot of siemens!" or "40 megasiemens!" Right.

Siemens AG corporate history

Source: Siemens official website

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.