In golf, a shot is the action taken where one hits the ball with the club.

In Hockey, this is when a player hits the puck with his stick, usually real hard, towards the other team's goal. One-timers are one of the most difficult kinds of shots, both for the player shooting and the goalie trying to defend.

To a percussionist, a shot is a rim shot, or any variety thereof.

In film, this word literally means "camera on to camera off." This means that a shot takes place any time the image on the screen changes, any time the camera operator fucks up and accidentally hits the button twice, or like any time the director loses it in the middle of a shot and starts yelling at people. Every time the camera changes angles or places without moving there (in other word: cuts), that's a shot. A shot isn't a scene, and it's sure as hell not a sequence (which must be at least two or more shots). It's a shot; simple as that. I hope to one day have clarified all industry-standard film terminology...

In checkers parlance, a shot is a sequence of moves leading to a multiple capture. Usually the setup for a shot involves the sacrifice of a piece. For example, one of the simplest shots is the "two-for-one", where a piece is sacrificed in order that, after the capture of that piece, the opponent's pieces will be positioned to allow for a double jump, thus winning two pieces for one.

When referring to fabric this refers to a technique of weaving with warp and weft in different colours.

The approach works best for fine fabrics such as silks, where the colours are not complementary, but are similar such as red+orange or green+yellow.

Shot fabrics look particularly good in strongly directed light, where they will appear to shimmer from one colour to the other depending on the angle of the light on the fabric.

A Shot is an alcoholic drink consisting of one or more types of alcohol served in a shot glass. It is intended to be consumed in one swallow - just a single belt of liquor, if you will.

If you layer multiple alcohols (usually done with the back of a spoon) then you have a layered shot. If you just mix several kinds of alcohol together, you have a mixed shot.

Add a mixer and you have a shooter.

If you have alcohol intended for sipping in a bucket (a kind of glass, short and square- well, actually usually fairly cylindrical- it is simply called drinking it neat, unless you have it with ice, in which case it is on the rocks.)

Shot (?),

imp. & p. p. of Shoot.

 

© Webster 1913


Shot, a.

Woven in such a way as to produce an effect of variegation, of changeable tints, or of being figured; as, shot silks. See Shoot, v. t., 8.

 

© Webster 1913


Shot, n. [AS. scot, sceot, fr. sceótan to shoot; akin to D. sschot, Icel. skot. √159. See Scot a share, Shoot, v. t., and cf. Shot a shooting.]

A share or proportion; a reckoning; a scot.

Here no shots are where all shares be.
Chapman.

A man is never . . . welcome to a place till some certain shot be paid and the hostess say "Welcome."
Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Shot, n.; pl. Shotor Shots (#). [OE. shot, schot, AS. gesceot a missile; akin to D. schot a shot, shoot, G. schuss, geschoss a missile, Icel. skot a throwing, a javelin, and E. shoot, v.t. √159. See Shoot, and cf. Shot a share.]

1.

The act of shooting; discharge of a firearm or other weapon which throws a missile.

He caused twenty shot of his greatest cannon to be made at the king's army.
Clarendon.

2.

A missile weapon, particularly a ball or bullet; specifically, whatever is discharged as a projectile from firearms or cannon by the force of an explosive.

Shot used in war is of various kinds, classified according to the material of which it is composed, into lead, wrought-iron, and cast-iron; according to form, into spherical and oblong; according to structure and modes of operation, into solid, hollow, and case. See Bar shot, Chain shot, etc., under Bar, Chain, etc.

3.

Small globular masses of lead, of various sizes, -- used chiefly for killing game; as, bird shot; buckshot.

4.

The flight of a missile, or the distance which it is, or can be, thrown; as, the vessel was distant more than a cannon shot.

5.

A marksman; one who practices shooting; as, an exellent shot.

Shot belt, a belt having a pouch or compartment for carrying shot. --
Shot cartridge, a cartridge containing powder and small shot, forming a charge for a shotgun. --
Shot garland (Naut.), a wooden frame to contain shot, secured to the coamings and ledges round the hatchways of a ship. --
Shot gauge, an instrument for measuring the diameter of round shot. Totten. --
shot hole, a hole made by a shot or bullet discharged. - - Shot locker (Naut.), a strongly framed compartment in the hold of a vessel, for containing shot. --
Shot of a cable (Naut.), the splicing of two or more cables together, or the whole length of the cables thus united. --
Shot prop (Naut.), a wooden prop covered with tarred hemp, to stop a hole made by the shot of an enemy in a ship's side. --
Shot tower, a lofty tower for making shot, by dropping from its summit melted lead in slender streams. The lead forms spherical drops which cool in the descent, and are received in water or other liquid. --
Shot window, a window projecting from the wall. Ritson, quoted by Halliwell, explains it as a window that opens and shuts; and Wodrow describes it as a window of shutters made of timber and a few inches of glass above them.

 

© Webster 1913


Shot, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shotted; p. pr. & vb. n. Shotting.]

To load with shot, as a gun. Totten.

 

© Webster 1913


Shot, n.

1. (Fisheries)

(a)

A cast of a net.

(b)

The entire throw of nets at one time.

(c)

A place or spot for setting nets.

(d)

A single draft or catch of fish made.

2. (Athletics)

A spherical weight, to be put, or thrown, in competition for distance.

3.

A stroke or propulsive action in certain games, as in billiards, hockey, curling, etc.; also, a move, as in chess.

4.

A guess; conjecture; also, an attempt. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.