Debut full-length album by Chicago-based rock/industrial/nu-metal band Filter. Recorded while the band were in Richard Patrick's hometowm of Cleveland (Thanks!), and released in 1995 through Warner Bros.

Tracks:

  1. Hey Man, Nice Shot
  2. Dose
  3. Under
  4. Spent
  5. Take Another
  6. Stuck in Here
  7. It's Over
  8. Gerbil
  9. White Like That
  10. Consider This
  11. So Cool

This CD isn't bad- which is to say it isn't great either. If you take Nine Inch Nails, remove the intelligence and awe-inspiring creativity, add a Ministry-esque level of guitar thrash and industrial pounding, and top it off with a lyrical and vocal style more suited to a fratboy-fronted college rock band, you've pretty much got Filter.

Okay, so what's good about it? Well, there are a couple of really good songs on it. Hey Man, Nice Shot springs to mind, as everyone's heard it on the radio. Dose is good too. Its great utility music, by which I mean music to put on while you're doing something else- driving, playing Quake, working out, etc. As a cathartic teen-angsty type record you could do a lot worse, although I'd personally stick with something like NIN.

3/5

btw, Title of Record, despite the crap name, is quite a bit better.

The "Short Bus" is a bus used to transport handicapped children to and from school. The reason for the name is that these buses are shorter than standard school buses, often just a little longer than a full-sized van. The reason these buses exist is that any given school or school district is likely to have only a few such children, and a short bus can best address their individual needs while costing less than a full-size bus.

Even if they have enough "special" students to theoretically fill a full-size school bus, multiple short buses are often preferable. As handicapped students are randomly distributed, and may need assistance in boarding the bus, they are usually picked up individually at their homes. This may necessitate the use of multiple routes and multiple buses to transport them all within a reasonable amount of time. Short buses may also be able to navigate individual driveways and side streets that full-size buses cannot. Further, the small size and passenger capacity of a short bus makes it easier to manage the behavior of the children, an important concern.

Short buses often have extra features such as elevators and floor brackets (for boarding and securing wheelchairs), or extra restraints on seats. In addition to the bus driver, educational aides often ride along on short buses to assist and manage the students.

On occasion, short buses may be used to transport non-disabled children to school along unpopulated or difficult routes. Due to the stigma of riding the short bus, however, this is usually avoided whenever possible.

About the stigma: the "short bus" can be a back-handed way of saying that someone isn't that bright, e.g. "Yeah, well I'll tell ya something about Bill, I mean, I'm not saying he isn't a great guy, but he definitely rode the short bus to school. If you know what I mean (nudge nudge wink wink)."

Short buses are often used by private schools and preschools that don't have to transport as many students as larger public schools do. Churches and construction companies are also fond of surplus short buses (and even full-size cheese buses for that matter), because they are cheap and can hold many people.

Also, these shorter buses are used for public school for transporting a smaller class to and from a field trip. In Iowa, we also have Open Enrollment, where kids can (and do) attend schools in a district other than their own. As there are usually not many of these kids to transport to/from one district or another, and since often smaller school districts send special needs kid to larger districts, these busses often get used for inter-district transportation. They may also be used to pick up home schooled children for studies in certain subjects and for socilization with peers.

Another user of surplus short buses are daycare centers, as they're quicker and easier to board by smaller children, and often a given daycare center will only have so many kids to transport from a given school.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.