I was looking at a picture on Sim’s homenode. The man there is smiling, shaggy-headed, standing on the deck of some kind of freighter or barge. You can tell that it’s the 70s, though even these days some people wear their hair that way. But there’s an aura of hopefulness that surrounds him, an unconscious confidence, that seems different from the look of 25 year olds today. He’s ready for the world, and he’s pleased to be himself.

Pictures of other people when they were young inevitably make me think of myself when I was young. Probably they don’t do this to people who are younger than the person depicted in the picture.

Twenty-five seems a long time ago to me now.

It also makes me think of the way I occupied my time, when I was 25. The jobs I took on with such casual nonchalance, thinking that they were just something I would do for a while, that I was doing them; they had nothing to do with me. I could always get another job, always move on to something else.

Now, looking back? The waitressing jobs, the stint as a PIRG canvasser, the extended student life, the teaching gigs? They define me. Through these jobs (and through the people I met, and the crises I navigated) I learned to know myself.

Things you do casually live on with you forever. You think you’re taking on a role as a lark, or a joke, or an experiment. But here is what I have to say to you (though I fully expect you to believe you will be the exception): Be prepared to have it––whatever it is––leave its imprint on you. Be prepared to look back on these jobs and these roles as a key to yourself. Be prepared to look back and say: "Fucking hell. That was it. That was life. I was doing it, right then."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.