Though it may have been a spin-off of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, for a girl growing up in the eighties, it was all about She-Ra. She was gorgeous, blonde, had bitchin' fashion sense (I dig the miniskirt and knee-high boots!), and most importantly, she fought for justice and honor and all things that were good.

She-Ra was the twin sister of Prince Adam, or He-Man. She was essentially a female version of her brother-- and it was he who gave her the Sword of Protection (this little tidbit was revealed in the He-Man and She-Ra movie, The Secret of the Sword. The twins live in parallel worlds; She-Ra lives on the planet of Etheria, having been kidnapped from He-man's world Eternia when they were babies. The big baddie of the show, Hordak, was the one who took her. Not a smart move, since now our heroine has found superpowers and joined the rebellion against him.

Known to almost everyone as Princess Adora, on occasions when she needs to go into superhero mode, the Sword of Protection effectively transforms her into She-Ra when raised in the air accompanied by the utterance, "For the honor of Grayskull...I am She-Ra!" The transformation is marked by the appropriate cartoon pyrotechnics, and her faithful horse, Spirit, sprouts some wings and becomes wonder-horse Swiftwind. Only her friends Lighthope, Madame Razz and Kowl knew about her alter-ego.

Not only possessing the heroism, skill, and bravery that appear to be family traits, she is kind and compassionate, can communicate with animals, and can heal people and animals. Chock full of good vs. evil cartoony goodness, She-Ra: Princess of Power was first aired in September of 1985, last aired in December of 1987, featuring the vocal talents of: (1)

    Melendy Britt as She-Ra/ Princess Adora
    George DiCenzo as Hordak
    John Erwin as He-Man
    Linda Gary as Glimmer, Shadow Weaver, Scorpia
    Alan Oppenheimer as Skeletor
    Diane Pershing as Netossa, Spinerella, Sweet Bee
    Lou Scheimer as Kowl, Mantenna, Leech, Grizzlor, Modulok
    Erika Scheimer as Queen Angella, Frosta, Imp

She-Ra is also immortalized by a grand total of 22 action figures (and 16 Fantastic Fashions!) Will She-Ra return to kick some more ass and take some more names? Well, that's up to the people who own the trademarks...


Sources:
(1)http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-2133/
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/shows/saturday/sa1201.php
http://castlegrayskull.org/hmsr-faq.shtml
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/4427/she-ra.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.