A song, or rather an instrumental movement to the song antennas to heaven by Godspeed You Black Emperor!. On lift yr. skinny fists like antennas to heaven!, it runs from 4:03 to 13:46 on the 4th track of the album. Just try to listen to this song without being deeply, soulfully moved. I dare you.

There's also a dance that accompanies the song. Let me teach you.


 4:03| The song starts.  Wave your head back and forth like Stevie Wonder.
     |
     |
     |
 5:30| Hear the tapping of the drumsticks, and look around furtively for 3 seconds.
 5:33| All of your muscles clench and spasm like you're having an orgasm on the electric chair.
     | Roll around on the floor for a while in musical ecstasy.
     |
 6:25| Pick yourself up, catch your breath, and wipe yourself off with a moist towel.
     |
     |
 7:30| Time for more furtive looking.  They are coming for you.
     |
 7:50| Smile.  Start with a little one,
     | then smile more
     | and more
     | until your face hurts from grinning like a fool.
 9:30| Relax.  Chuckle if you have to.
     |
10:10| Shiver nervously like a homeless person in the winter, asking for change
11:05| Steel yourself like a mariner braving a gale
     |
11:22| Open your eyes.  Become bigger.  It hasn't killed you, and it's making you stronger.
     |
11:55| Release all your tension.  All of it.  It's like shitting; just get it out,
     | flush it down,
     | and forget about it.
     |
     |
13:15| Smile again.  Sincerely this time.  You are OK.
     |
     |

Does anyone else hear this song as the story of a life? From ignorant childhood to rambunctious, hedonistic adolescence, to paranoid, delusional adulthood, through hard times to recovery and regrowth, self-knowledge, wisdom, and ultimately to a happy, unfeared death? That's what I hear. What do you hear?



izubachi says I hear the apocalypse. And then I hear the beginning of a new world.

hunt05 says I hear the tale of an addict in it. Like at first, they're happy using drugs and all, and then they get scared, and then they finally become clean and sober

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.