Forbidden by Leviticus 19:27 and Leviticus 21:5, and thus fits well into the category of What wouldn't Jesus do?.

Nobody has yet explained to me why Orthodox Jews like to wear black hats and black suits and have earlocks though. They look like penguins!

I tried.

Truly I did. I looked up every possible permutation of the word shave, shaving, shaven, pubic hair, who needs nads anyway, etc., etc., etc. I did try to find this small, possibly ignoble bit of information somewhere on E2.

I just can't leave this one alone.

Look girls -- possibly boys too -- you will save yourself a world of hurt, in fact, quite possibly, an entire solar system of hurt, if you would do one simple thing after shaving your intimates:

After your shower/bath/sink, take a nice soft cotton ball, soak it in isopropyl alcohol, and lightly brush it over the skin. If you are afraid that it will sting, use peroxide, which has the added affect of bleaching any remaining stubble...

But for the love of all that is holy, disinfect your pores somehow!!

After you have done, let it dry a bit. Feel free to wipe the area down with some nice warm water or apply some lotion. The next day, after your shower, do it again! Trust me, the cold tingling feeling is preferable to the alternative itchiness.

After shave is nice, but it's not typically something that girls have on hand.

Being shaven can be remarkably comfortable and hygienic if you take advantage of this simple trick. In fact, you can use it anywhere you are prone to shaving bumps or plucking bumps, and it will reduce the occurrence.

Thank you, I feel very much better now.

Beau Brumell's technique, according to Regency rumor:

Use a straight razor.
Shave once, with the grain.
Rub (hard) with hot towel. Shave again, against the grain.
For special occasions, shave a third time, on a 45° angle.Apply facial masque, and rinse.
Use tweezers to pull any stray hairs. Baby's bottom should come to mind.
Apply alum block, to close pores and any broken skin.

That's it, you're done!

Shav"ing, n.

1.

The act of one who, or that which, shaves; specifically, the act of cutting off the beard with a razor.

2.

That which is shaved off; a thin slice or strip pared off with a shave, a knife, a plane, or other cutting instrument.

"Shaving of silver."

Chaucer.

Shaving brush, a brush used in lathering the face preparatory to shaving it.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.