Title of the first Black Crowes LP, from 1989, with the classic "Jealous Again", when the band formerly known as Mr. Crowe's Garden decided to embrace the retro and the outré. "Shake your moneymaker" (the usual spelling, and we may have to have an editor's confab here about this) is an old blues lyric, recycled, just like blues riffs, throughout the history of the blues and rock and roll. Variations include "shake your tailfeather" and "shake your tambourine".

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, the Butterfield Blues Band, and George Thorogood and the Destroyers, et mucho al, have done versions of Elmore James' circa-mid-50s "Shake Your Moneymaker"; there are countless others out there, and somewhere in this big ol' world, somebody is playing it right now, before an audience as big as thousands, or as small as one.

A "moneymaker", IIRC, isn't merely an ass, it's an ass that inspires lewd thoughts in the observer of said ass, or inspires a blues singer to write and/or sing about it - if you suffer from "ain't-got-no-ass syndrome", yo' ass ain't no moneymaker.

When a moneymaker is properly shaken, the observer is stirred.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.