Do the Shake 'N' Vac and put the freshness back
Do the Shake 'N' Vac and put the freshness back
When your carpet smells fresh, your room does to-o-o
Every time you vacuum, remember what to do
Do the Shake 'N' Vac and put the freshness back!

TV Commercial Circa 1982, © Glade Ltd.

"Shake and Vac" is a household cleaning product marketed by Glade in the UK. It claims to "Put the Freshness Back"; this means odour reduction with a perfume.

It is a fragrant white powder sold in a 400g cylindrical tube with a cap that can be removed to reveal perforations. The powder can be shaken liberally all over the floor and then removed after a short wait with a vacuum cleaner. When used in sufficient quantity it can make a pungent carpet less smelly.

The powder is a polyborate substrate capable of absorbing many times it's own volume of water; combined with a non-water based fragrance which can overpower strong lingering smells. The cleaning effect comes from the substrate drying-out moist odorous particles, and therefore reducing their adhesion to the carpet, allowing them to be more easily removed by a vacuum cleaner.

Customers might be tricked into thinking the product is effective; Since Shake & Vac is highly visible when applied to the floor - a white powder usually stands out very well against an old carpet. The mere fact that a carpet has been covered all over with Shake & Vac means that it will have to be vacuumed more thoroughly than a regular cleaning in order to remove all of the powder, almost any absorbent white powder could achieve the same effect.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.