Through the eyes of a 21-year-old Finnish male specimen, the show seems to consist of the following straightforward elements: I can't help but feel the series is aimed at people who start compulsively giggling whenever the word "penis" is uttered.
Then again, as one of the stupid apes I certainly don't belong in the target audience. So it's probably just me not understanding all the smart humor and delicate critique on the North American society.

Before it was a comedy on HBO, Sex and the City was a novel written by Candace Bushnell. First published in 1997 by Warner Books, SATC follows the lives of 30-somethings living in New York City.

The book contains many of the main characters from the show, including Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, Mr. Big, and a few others. It does differ from the show in many ways. It doesn't simply follow the paths of 4 women talking about sex, and the book isn't even narrated by Carrie, but rather by some woman (presumably the author).

The book is entertaining, especially if you enjoy the television show. It even has chapters centered around types of men in NYC. It is clever, perhaps moreso than the show, and face paced. It is written almost like a documentary of the "Age of Un-Innocense". However, as my boyfriend always says, it might not be the best read for men; it may contain things you've never wanted to know about women. (Not all women mind you, just these women, but there are traits in characters that any female could relate to.)

Candance Bushnell has also written the book "Four Blondes."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.