A 6-voice multitimbral analog synthesizer with a 61-note velocity sensitive keyboard. Produced from 1985 to 1987.

The Multi-Trak uses a CEM 3394 chips for each voice. They contain a VCO, a VCF, a VCA, and an LFO.

The VCO's waveform is switchable between sawtooth, triangle and pwm. A noise generator is also included. There are controls for coarse/fine tuning and glide.
The resonant VCF can be modulated by the VCO. Controls for cut-off and resonance are available with 3 modes for key-follow modulation.
In each voice the VCO, VCF and VCA have their own ADSR envelope generators. Apart from the VCA, they can be inverted.
Multi-Trak's LFO can be routed to the VCO, the VCF and pulse width modulation. Available waveforms are square and triangle. LFO controls are amount and frequency.
There is a built-in chorus with controls for rate and depth.

Programming the Multi-Trak is done with a single knob and a 4x10 matrix of parameter buttons. Each voice can be programmed to one of the 100 internal patches and played via an external keyboard/sequencer as a separate monophonic synthesizer.

The MT features a 1600-note sequencer with quantizing and a metronome. It is syncable to an external source. Unfortunately there is no memory for user sequences, only 4 pre-programmed demos. There is a tape interface for storing patches and sequences.
A very flexible arpeggiator with latch and transpose is included. It is switchable between up, down and assignable. The last mode arpeggiates notes in the order they were played.
The superstak mode allows two or more sounds stacked to create a thick monophonic sound. It can also be used as a 3-voice duophonic stack.
There is also an auto-tune function which constantly tunes notes not played in the last 30 seconds.

In/out MIDI is available on the MT. In addition to a normal stereo audio output (which doubles as a headphone jack), there are separate outputs for each voice. Also on the back panel there are jacks for a pedal controller as well as the cassette interface.


back to Sequential Circuits

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.